We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Removing share from cache

Melocco

I was wondering if there is a right way to remove a share folder from cache without losing everything. I changed the share to "No" using cache drive, but the files stayed on the cache drive. I used Krusader to copy the files from cache to the main directory (which everything was on there, I didn't trust the mover). Then I deleted the folder from the cache drive. Once I did, it deleted the folder in the user folder as well..  I only deleted the one, but it deleted both..   I had everything backed up (thank god) but I don't want that to happen again. I'm still copying those files back after 3 days..   

Main reason I'm asking is incase I have to do it again (which I need to anyway). I am running three 4tb drives as cache, but two share folders take 79%.  I thought I could use the cache drives to copy the data from my backup to the array faster, then have the mover move the folders in a more effective way, then just remove the share from cache.   I have looked online and only found when upgrading or changing drives, not folders...  Thanks in advance..

F.Y.I. I'm running 6.4.0 incase that information is needed.

10 minutes ago, Melocco said:

changed the share to "No" using cache drive, but the files stayed on the cache drive.

You want to set it to use cache drive: YES then run mover then set it to be NO

10 minutes ago, Melocco said:

Then I deleted the folder from the cache drive. Once I did, it deleted the folder in the user folder as well..  I only deleted the one, but it deleted both.. 

Very unlikely.  You either deleted /mnt/user/folderName or /mnt/user0/folderName.  Either of those will delete the share itself on all disks (the latter one will leave the contents on the cache drive).  You need to delete /mnt/cache/folderName

Note that the user shares do not store any data. They are just a window showing the merged data from the individual drives you have.

This also means that you should not manually perform copies between disks and user shares because the copy program will not be able to understand the aliasing between the two and may then overwrite the file with itself - this results in a zero byte large file.

Anyway - since the user shares are a merge of data on all the physical disks, it means that the user share will stop presenting information if the information is removed from the underlying disks.

29 minutes ago, Squid said:

You want to set it to use cache drive: YES then run mover then set it to be NO

So change from prefer to yes. invoke mover. wait for it to be done. then change it to no.

Am I understanding you right? I don't need to invoke the mover again? I just wanted to be clear so I wouldn't mess up again... Please let me know if that is the right order and if I am not misunderstanding you..  Thanks..  

As far as deleting the wrong thing. In Krusader, I was under cache and it only showed the Appdata, Backup and Tools. I deleted from that point. I didn't delete anything else. There may have been a very slight chance that it was still set to prefer, but I swear I thought I changed it. Only reason I even did anything like that was I changed it to no and the fix common problem plug in said it was still on the cache drive and I needed to do something about that..  

2 hours ago, Melocco said:

So change from prefer to yes. invoke mover. wait for it to be done. then change it to no.

Yes.  That will move the files in that share from the cache drive to the array.  It will skip any files that happen to be open though (via a docker application or vm or currently in use over the network).  After its done and set to no the new files will all get written to the array.

Just out of curiosity. I'm sure that there is information around here. But I watched spaceone and he said to use prefer. 

My question is, what is the difference? Prefer seems to hold the data. Does yes only hold the data temporarily? No doesn't hold anything. 

I'm just trying to understand this. Thanks again for everything. 

6 hours ago, Melocco said:

Just out of curiosity. I'm sure that there is information around here. But I watched spaceone and he said to use prefer. 

My question is, what is the difference? Prefer seems to hold the data. Does yes only hold the data temporarily? No doesn't hold anything. 

I'm just trying to understand this. Thanks again for everything. 

The help button at the top right of the GUI will help explain.

Archived