Transcoding on the fly for 4k content on array, output 1080p to Kodi

jang430

Amazon content is around 15000 bitrate with 4K content, in h264 your processor (unraid xeon) will handle it fine with a plex docker.

Running HVEC h265 transcode on plex will eat up your current processor, and will result in terrible buffering and delays on the client.

Plex addon works fine in kodi, but i mosly use chromecast now or nvidia shield in combination with plex.

Edited by SiNtEnEl

Actual results :-)  In Plex Server settings, under Transcoder, I chose "Make my CPU hurt," and HURT it did :D  All cores Screenshot_1.png.12cea289a18d416c104c1fcb5135b201.png

Although, it comes down to 50%, and goes back up, and sometimes in 60%.  Kinda satisfying.  

Just want to confirm though with you guys, in Plex app in Kodi, I have still to change settings in the tv show itself, and change playback quality to 4 MB, 720p.  Next higher is 8 MB 1080p, and nothing comes out of the screen.  My System stats for Unraid also doesn't change.  This is the case for all settings above 8 MB as well.  

So, is my Unraid box only good for 720p then?  Maybe time for an upgrade?  :D  Though I seldom download any 2160p, only when nothing else is around.  But what is good enough :-)?

Edited by jang430
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi. Just wondering, how do we do this without plex? If I change processor/ motherboard, what should it be? I saw some Xeon E3-1500 series able to do this, correct? But price is way to high. Any other cheaper Xeons? Or can it be done with my existing processor with a GPU? How do you assign the gpu to do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk