Confused about PCI SATA Controllers

ctviggen

Hi All,

I'm concerned my two StarTech SATA controllers might be causing lost data. I need a 4 port SATA controller.  My motherboard (ASRock A55M-HVS) supports these expansion slots:

- 1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot
- 1 x PCI Express 2.0 x1 slot
- 1 x PCI slot

When I go to the hardware compatibility list:

https://lime-technology.com/wiki/Hardware_Compatibility#Motherboard_IDE_controllers

I get overwhelmed with information. It looks to me like the following might be a candidate:

Addonics AD4SA6GPX2

However, this supports a slot of "x2". Does this mean this controller will not work in my x1 or x16 slots?  Do I have to exactly match x1 or x16? 

Also, when I search for this controller, I can buy it at Amazon, but it's a bit more difficult to buy; I have to buy via third-party sellers, and I'm not used to this. I'm willing to do this, if I can be assured this device will work.

Anyway, my main question is whether the slots have to be exact for these PCIe controllers.  Also, if anyone knows of a 4 port controller that works with the slots I have, I'd appreciate it.

3 hours ago, ctviggen said:

Does this mean this controller will not work in my x1 or x16 slots?

It will work on the x16 slot, this controller uses a Marvell chipset though, so it probably won't work with VT-d enable.

Unfortunately there really isn't a recommended 4 port controller, there's the older Adaptec 1430SA which still works great for HDDs, another option would be to  get an 8 ports LSI controller.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2018 at 1:10 PM, johnnie.black said:

It will work on the x16 slot, this controller uses a Marvell chipset though, so it probably won't work with VT-d enable.

Unfortunately there really isn't a recommended 4 port controller, there's the older Adaptec 1430SA which still works great for HDDs, another option would be to  get an 8 ports LSI controller.

Thank you, Jonnie.  I don't mind getting an 8 port controller (I think I may have at least one more slot I can use for another HDD), so maybe I have to do that. 

downside to these cheap SATA controllers seems to be lots of reports of reliability issues - from the card stop working to corrupted data.

The issues I've seen was enough for me to go for a LSI controller, I got a used Dell PERC HBA that was already flashed into IT mode for a decent price from ebay.