13 sata ports

8 hours ago, Ron said:

I went into the UnRaid GUI, and it is showing my 6tb Wd with a red x. I am running a parity check now. I need to see what is wrong with that drive

https://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Troubleshooting#What_do_I_do_if_I_get_a_red_X_next_to_a_hard_disk.3F

Running a parity check is not productive in this situation. I'd stop the check and follow the troubleshooting directions in the link I posted.

• Like 1
https://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Troubleshooting#What_do_I_do_if_I_get_a_red_X_next_to_a_hard_disk.3F

Running a parity check is not productive in this situation. I'd stop the check and follow the troubleshooting directions in the link I posted.
Ok, I stopped the parity check, and completed the steps listed. I decided to try my old pci sata controller too. I now believe the pci controller is also bad, as it shows the bad drive now as disconnected. On the motherboard are 2 black sata ports which I was using when I rebuilt the PC the other day...they are listed as data only, what does this mean? Could this be part of the problem since I had drives plugged into it?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

On 2/4/2018 at 5:50 AM, pwm said:

And the good thing is that if the fan fails, the heat pipes will continue to function to help spread the heat over the huge heat sinks. With a traditional liquid cooler, the circulation will stop if the pump fails. And from own observations, the pumps seems to have a lot worse lifetime than normal fans. Besides the fact that it is generally harder to pick up a new pump than it is to find a new fan.

I gotta say the fan is HUGE, but it def keeps it cool, and it is virtually silent too.

You currently has two 6TB unassigned drives, don't know witch one was disk4, but SMART looks OK for both, WD has a lot of CRC errors so it needs a new SATA cable (unless they are old errors), you should also update to latest release.
Thanks, the WD is my old hdd, and the Hitachi is the new one. I will double check the cables...I think I have new cables on all but one hdd. That is great news! I will look up on what to do to replace the drive, and use the 2nd 6t hdd as a 2nd parity hdd. Would it make any difference which one is used as the 2nd parity?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Couple of questions..

1: Is it safe to use my setup to stream movies with Plex, or should I wait 2 days until the rebuild is complete? My data is spread across all drives.

2:Is it better to have data spread across all drives or have them on a set hdd? My unraid setup is mainly movies, and music.

18 minutes ago, Ron said:

Is it safe to use my setup to stream movies with Plex,

Safe yes, it will slow down the rebuild though.

19 minutes ago, Ron said:

or should I wait 2 days until the rebuild is complete?

That's a long time for 6TB, either the array is in use your something is not optimized.

19 minutes ago, Ron said:

Is it better to have data spread across all drives or have them on a set hdd? My unraid setup is mainly movies, and music.

This is more of an user preference, there's no right answer.

• Like 1

it started out saying 11 hours, and then it added a day. the only other thing going on is the extended smart on the old hdd. I also did not do a preclear or format on the new hdd...could that be why it is taking so long to rebuild?

it now says 1 day 9 hours with 2 hours completed.

Edited by Ron
2 hours ago, Ron said:

i will format the old hdd if all goes well, and then make it parity 2.

Parity has no filesystem so doesn't need to be formatted. In every operating system you have ever used, "format" means "write an empty filesystem to this disk". Whatever disk you assign as parity is going to be completely overwritten with parity so it doesn't matter what was on it before.

• Like 1

Interesting... Everything was working fine until I downloaded the update to 6.4.1,  Once I did that it lost the 1st parity  hdd. So I directed it to the hdd, ran parity again, and it was fine..rebooted, and it is back to not working for parity 1. I then ran through parity again, and it is still no parity 1...attached file.

tower-diagnostics-20180310-0906.zip

Edited by Ron
9 minutes ago, trurl said:

check connections. Maybe already answered in the thread, but how is this disk connected? 

Disc is connected via sata 6 cable via asus motherboard. all that was changed after new drive inserted, and old parity hdd was installed is the update.