13 sata ports

Question: The motherboard has a autotune app for windows...should I install windows on the ssd, and run autotune? Autotune sets up overclocking, fan speeds, ram voltage etc.. If I did this I would format the drive afterwards, and just run Unraid on the USB afterwards.

Tia,

Ron

25 minutes ago, Ron said:

Question: The motherboard has a autotune app for windows...should I install windows on the ssd, and run autotune? Autotune sets up overclocking, fan speeds, ram voltage etc.. If I did this I would format the drive afterwards, and just run Unraid on the USB afterwards.

Tia,

Ron

Up to you, but I would never overclock a system where the goal is reliability.  The possible performance gains are generally not that great, and the risk of data corruption or crashes is significant.  Tune up apps under Windows adjust for running tune up apps under Windows.  In my view they can't adequately take real-world usage into account.  Been there, done that, etc. 

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, S80_UK said:

Up to you, but I would never overclock a system where the goal is reliability.  The possible performance gains are generally not that great, and the risk of data corruption or crashes is significant.  Tune up apps under Windows adjust for running tune up apps under Windows.  In my view they can't adequately take real-world usage into account.  Been there, done that, etc. 

Thanks, I was mainly concerned with getting the voltages correct for the ram, and fans  setup.

7 hours ago, Ron said:

Thanks, I was mainly concerned with getting the voltages correct for the ram, and fans  setup.

In that case, I would check the voltage and timings spec for the RAM from the labels, packaging or the manufacturer's web site, and adjust in the BIOS if needed.  Most decent RAM will only need the standard voltage for that RAM type anyway, and the timing set up should be automatic.  RAM running at non-standard voltages tends to be pushing the spec for the chips anyway.  The chips on the modules have a nominally correct voltage, but some module makers try to sell modules rated at a higher speed by making the silicon work harder - they are also playing the overclocking game.  Sometimes it works.  Sometimes it doesn't, or the chips work but fail sooner. 

For the fans, the BIOS can often help setup the CPU fan speed.  It's only a guide, but I normally choose a quiet option for the base setting and a maximum temperature of arround 50 degrees C of so.  Then the fan is very quiet when everything is idle but it ensures the CPU gets loads of air as thhngs get busy. 

• Upvote 1
On 2/3/2018 at 12:17 AM, SSD said:

Calling it a CPU fan is like calling a 170lb Mastiff a puppy dog. :D

Did you order RAM?

cute-mastiff-small-dog-funny.jpg  

noctua_9.jpg&key=10d7e4b1d8790245e046aa92930769815e5e9205085a5817221a7ccae5695982

And the good thing is that if the fan fails, the heat pipes will continue to function to help spread the heat over the huge heat sinks. With a traditional liquid cooler, the circulation will stop if the pump fails. And from own observations, the pumps seems to have a lot worse lifetime than normal fans. Besides the fact that it is generally harder to pick up a new pump than it is to find a new fan.

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Ron said:

Tia,

Ron

As was said, stability is very important for your unRaid server. If you plan to do any overclocking, against general guidance not to, recommend robust system stability testing under heavy load to ensure the system is super stable. If in doubt, back it down.

• Upvote 1
On 31/01/2018 at 7:20 AM, SSD said:

Buying a motherboard with so many SATA ports is not necessary. You can buy an LSI SAS9201-8i for about $50 on eBay, or other similar card. This gives 8 ports, and in conjunction with a motherboard with 6 ports, you'd be in good shape. Why limit yourself to a niche motherboard with extra ports? The add on controllers can move to future motherboards avoiding having to repurchase a new motherboard with high port counts every time you upgrade.

another question, do you know if all of the LSI SAS9201-8i  cards supports JBOD or one and one disk out of the box?
I see on a lot of the ebay listings that they say raid on the ones from Europe sellers.

I also know from earlier that some jbod cards presents all disks as one to the OS and some presents the inviudal disks to the OS.

1 hour ago, isvein said:

another question, do you know if all of the LSI SAS9201-8i  cards supports JBOD or one and one disk out of the box?
I see on a lot of the ebay listings that they say raid on the ones from Europe sellers.

I also know from earlier that some jbod cards presents all disks as one to the OS and some presents the inviudal disks to the OS.

Read up on the controller. It is an HBA, not a Raid card. It presents disks as individual disks. There are a lot of very similar model numbers. But the 9201 is what I describe. The 9211 is a Raid card that needs to be cross flashed into raid mode.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, SSD said:

Read up on the controller. It is an HBA, not a Raid card. It presents disks as individual disks. There are a lot of very similar model numbers. But the 9201 is what I describe. The 9211 is a Raid card that needs to be cross flashed into raid mode.

Easy to get confused when some calls it a raid cards and others a jbod card

1 hour ago, CHBMB said:

@SSD I always thought it was a before a consonant so today I learned...... :)

Wouldn't it be "a host bus adapter" when using the full term though?

And "an HBA" when using the acronym?

:/

An abbreviation is not pronounced in its expanded form. Somewhere my seventh grade English teacher is smiling! :)

The only way it works grammatically is if you pronounce HBA as hibba. Is that what you intended? ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Well I got it up, and running as far as to the boot screen, and I get a cpu fan error. When I go into the bios my cpu temp is 30-31C with my fan speed 397rpm. I disconnected the 2 fans, and hooked them up individually...one fan stayed at 397rpm, and the other went to almost 600rpm. This is with both fans hooked up directly to the motherboard as cpu fan, and cpu other.Any suggestions?

On 2/3/2018 at 5:40 PM, Ron said:

For RAM just go into your BIOS and set the D.O.C.P. profile from auto, to whatever option it gives you -- probably just one option. For the fans they'll have proper voltage, I'm betting it was more for setting RPM ie want fans to be more quiet (slower), or for OC (always at 100%).  I wouldn't give this much of a second thought, personally.

34 minutes ago, Ron said:

This is with both fans hooked up directly to the motherboard as cpu fan, and cpu other.Any suggestions?

Depending on the board you may have some CHA headers (or Chassis) if you want the "optional cpu" fan to show up as a chassis fan. Other then that, I'd have to see system with my hands to give you anything direct with your build. Unless, we're talking about the CPU cooler, then what you have is fine.

Edited by Jcloud
2nd part, added last sentence.
42 minutes ago, Ron said:

I disconnected the 2 fans, and hooked them up individually...one fan stayed at 397rpm, and the other went to almost 600rpm. This is with both fans hooked up directly to the motherboard as cpu fan, and cpu other.Any suggestions?

Are you using the extension from the Noctura packaging? If so those are not extension cords but will slow down the rpm of your fans. If the system still complains of fan speed, but your system is stable, in OS or like a few hours of memtest, then it's the BIOS freaking out that the fans are going too slow, probably from all the passive cooling of Noctura; if that's the case you'll want to disable the alarm/warning for RPM speed in BIOS.

Sorry would have added to my last note, but I glazed over the text.

Edit, also isn't 30-31C Okay range for CPU? I'd have to research the temp range again, I never remember it. Okay couldn't leave it alone, looked it up on ark.intel.com I'm convinced the system is complaining the RPM is too low, but your temp is good. So stablity tests then tell BIOS to shut off alarm, notice.

Edited by Jcloud

Thanks, I checked and  it is normal temp. I also read to disable the fan speed monitor for the CPU. I went into the UnRaid GUI, and it is showing my 6tb Wd with a red x. I am running a parity check now. I need to see what is wrong with that drive...hopefully it will be fixable. I also purchased a 6TB Hitachi that I was planning to use as Parity 2, so I am hoping the WD hdd is still good.

Thanks, we are talking CPU cooler. The Noctua has 2 fans on it. I disabled the speed monitor, and i am currently parity to see how that drive is. I am glad I appear to only have 1hdd fail since I currently only have 1 parity hdd. I am surprised a 6tb drive failed since they were only a couple years old as I recall.

39 minutes ago, Jcloud said:

For RAM just go into your BIOS and set the D.O.C.P. profile from auto, to whatever option it gives you -- probably just one option. For the fans they'll have proper voltage, I'm betting it was more for setting RPM ie want fans to be more quiet (slower), or for OC (always at 100%).  I wouldn't give this much of a second thought, personally.

Depending on the board you may have some CHA headers (or Chassis) if you want the "optional cpu" fan to show up as a chassis fan. Other then that, I'd have to see system with my hands to give you anything direct with your build. Unless, we're talking about the CPU cooler, then what you have is fine.