We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

help with adding new drive

platyskill

so i changed the sata cable of my parity drive and changed out my old drive 1 for a new 1tb drive, it says the parity drive is new, so i select the parity drive but when i select the new 1tb drive to replace the old hardrive there's  red x and it says invalid config..did i do somthing wrong? the 1tb drive is new anmd just finished preclearing

Hard to know what you are trying to do. Did you have a drive fail and you need to rebuild it? Or you are just configuring the array and there is no data concern.

Be very careful if there is data involved. It is easy to make a mistake!

18 minutes ago, trurl said:

My understanding is the user is trying to replace parity and a data disk, and as already said, you can't replace your only parity disk and a data disk at the same time.

I think you're right, the "adding new drive title" and reading the post to quickly led me to a wrong conclusion, OP best to post your diagnostics, if you havn't reboot yet we might see what happened to parity to be considered new.

1 minute ago, platyskill said:

maybe i dident explain myself..the parity drive is "new" only to unraid i've used this same parity drive for a month or two now

I understood that part, just though that besides that you were adding a new disk, not replacing an existing one, but it was mostly my fault for reading too fast, though the tread title also mislead me.

Whatever happened to parity was before the reboot, since it was already unassigned at boot time, if the old disk is OK you can put it back in, resync parity and after it's done syncing replace disk1.

2 minutes ago, platyskill said:

oh alright so replace the new data drive with the old orginal resync the parity,

correct

3 minutes ago, platyskill said:

then replace the old drive with the new then resync again

rebuild the disk, but I think it's what you mean.

3 minutes ago, platyskill said:

can i use a usb sata dongle to hook up to the machine via usb or is that not recommened?

Not recommended, it may give a different ID to the disk, it will likely also be slower and more prone to errors.

Archived