Sanity check - 24 drive bays

1 hour ago, uaeproz said:

@SSD Thanks for the great support and valuable info you are sharing. I really appreciate that.

I will get the i7 8700k for my existing server but that would require me to swap the motherboard that has LGA 1151 socket. I'm just not sure how to do the swap without moving my data that is contained in the existing HDDs. It's massive amount of data. I'll do a research on the forums for that and I'll dedicate it for transcoding 4k files.

Yea - getting your data onto individual disks to do an array dissection can be a little tricky. But not too hard. Start a new thread and ask for help on how to do.

I kinda think it might be awkward to have one Plex for 4k movies only, and another Plex for lower res movies. I think if I were having two servers, I'd want all my Plex media on one of them. And I'd choose this one.

But I will keep the new server configuration. For what it's worth, I made the deal on everything with a new set of processors that I found on eBay: 2x of https://ark.intel.com/products/124942/Intel-Xeon-Gold-6146-Processor-24_75M-Cache-3_20-GHz

WOW! That is a VERY impressive CPU you've got there. It is a 12 core and looks like it will support QUAD configuration (if I am reading it right), meaning you could buy 4 or them and have a 48 core behemoth. :) I do expect one of these CPUs has the horses to decode a 4k movie without much trouble. Probably not 2 movies though.

I actually have a 7920x, a 12 core i9 CPU, very similar to this one. Love it. Was working on a spreadsheet with over 800,000 rows other night. Created some formulas and watched 11 cores (22 if you count hyper-threading) shoot to 100% for about 30 seconds. On my old box that would have taken minutes. And likely would have crashed Excel. Retail cost of my CPU is about 1/3 of the one you bought - but mine will not work with other CPUs.

I'd use this for VM for sure! Maybe a small array. Use the other one for media. 

• Like 1

Ok guys, I found and order the toshiba M.2 but one final component that it is very difficult to find. The compatible memory cards made by Samsung ARGHHHH, here is the ordered items for my rig so far:

Still deciding (trying to find a deal) on the following:

I bought the DIMMS!!. I'm just "hoping" it's compatible. Here is the ordered items for my rig so far:

On 2/28/2018 at 6:52 PM, uaeproz said:

ARGH!!!

I've got the DOM anyways and I'll give it a try. If it didn't work, I'll use the USB.

If it will boot from it and it presents a unique GUID to unRAID then maybe it's possible. Another possibility is that it presents a GUID that is not unique and so would be subject to being blacklisted by unRAID at some future date. But in any case, it is way more expense than necessary for this function. I'm surprised nobody on this thread explained to you why it isn't necessary even if it does work.

The unRAID OS doesn't run from the flash drive. The OS unpacks fresh from the flash drive during boot into RAM and runs completely in RAM. The flash drive is used very little during actual operation. It is only used to save and read configuration changes that you might make in the webUI. Other than that the OS will not really be accessing it.

Man, some bad thing happened to me. I got robbed! My stuff many of the server items were in the car got stolen in addition to my passport, ID, driving license, bank and credit cards, laptop etc. etc. 

the server parts arts that was stolen are:

10 TB HHD

serverdom @trurl

all of the cables including HBA cables

HBA standard (long) bracket

and many more. 

3 minutes ago, SSD said:

What? No picture fully assembled! 

Here is quick snap of my recent work of art!

25 disk capacity - infinite vertical stackability. :) 

5aa06dabe6c91_Merlinfront.thumb.jpg.4a85556834fc7e8325a8f1ee29d4854f.jpg

Wow, that’s insane server you got there!!!

i’ll post some pictures when I got home. It’s working fine though. I didn’t test everything but I’ll do some testing 

@SSD what’s that case make and model?

It is a CoolerMaster STC-T01.

Not made anymore, and this one has been heavily modded. Will try to take more pics and post details of my build.

The SuperMicro CSE-M35T-1B 5in3s actually have small holes in the top and bottom. So that one sitting on top is actually screwed to the top of the case. And it would be very easy to screw another on top of that one to add 5 more drives. I have a cord passthrough that I can feed internal cables through the case top.

35 minutes ago, SSD said:

It is a CoolerMaster STC-T01.

Not made anymore, and this one has been heavily modded. Will try to take more pics and post details of my build.

The SuperMicro CSE-M35T-1B 5in3s actually have small holes in the top and bottom. So that one sitting on top is actually screwed to the top of the case. And it would be very easy to screw another on top of that one to add 5 more drives. I have a cord passthrough that I can feed internal cables through the case top for drive drives.

Very interesting. Please do and share some pictures.