Unrecognized Docker containers

JonMikelV

I recently (last week or so) noticed two Docker containers on my Docker tab that I don't recall installing.  They appeared NOT around a reboot (it's been 2 months since that) but possible around updating other containers.

The containers are called:

- dazzling_payne

- infallible_aryabhata

There's no Version available, no Port Mappings, and no Volume Mappings - nor can I get in to edit them (just Update, Start, and Remove).

I don't want to start them since I don't know what they are but I'm afraid to just remove them for fear they're some upgrade oddity that might take an active Docker with them.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to go about identifying them and whether or not they're safe to remove?

Thanks!

I just got back from a trip and deleted the infallible_aryabhata container without issue.  When I went to delete the dazzling_payne one there was some message about not being able to find the container and a page refresh caused it to no longer appear in my Docker list.

I'm not sure how they got there or why deleting one caused the other to sort-of go away, but things are back to where I want them now.  :-)

• 1 month later...
On 3/12/2018 at 4:10 PM, JonMikelV said:

dazzling_payne

infallible_aryabhata

The only other web page where those four words all appear is this one. It looks like a script for generating random names of the type <adjective>_<proper noun>, similar to the way Ubuntu releases are named. I have no idea where the containers came from or what their function was but I'm pretty sure this is how they got their names - an astronomer and a mathematician.

Archived