cache question with user share

Nischi

Hello

I have a question regarding ssd cache use.

Let's say I have this directory structure in my user share:

• A
    • A.1
      • A.1.1
    • A.2
    • A.3

A is my parent folder, which I have set to NOT use the cache drives, as it as a whole is very big. However, I have files in the subfolder A.1.1 I often access(in this case music files), and I do not want want to wait for the spin-up-time for the drive, so i'd rather store it on my cache as the folder size is not that big anyway.

How would I do this without,  A) disableing spin-down, B) moving A.1.1 out of the A parent folder ?

A follow up question also.

Is there any way to say that certain file types are stored on the cache? Let's say .mp3 files, regardless of their location in the user share?

I imagine this could be useful for many work-type situations as well, since work-files could potentially always be quickly available.

Thanks for taking your time guys! :)

There is no way to do what you want automatically.

However if you manually create the required folder structure on the cache drive and move files there they will appear under the User share.    Because the User Share had the Use Cache option set to ‘No’ then mover will not move such files to the array.   This takes advantage of the fact that the Use Cache setting only applies to where New files are put rather than where they are read from.    unRAID will always look at all drives when giving the Read view of the User Share.

2 minutes ago, itimpi said:

There is no way to do what you want automatically.

However if you manually create the required folder structure on the cache drive and move files there will appear under the User share.    Because the User Share had the Use Cache option set to ‘No’ then mover will not move such files to the array.   This takes advantage of the fact that the Use Cache setting only applies to where New files are put rather than where they are read from.    unRAID will always look at all drives when giving the Read view of the User Share.

Thanks for the suggestion, will try it out! sounds like that would solve my main problem.

Regarding the file type question, I gather that it is indeed currently not possible. Maybe worthy of a suggestion for further unRAID?

And thank you both for the quick replies, got answer within minutes of my post.... :)

18 hours ago, Nischi said:

Hello

I have a question regarding ssd cache use.

Let's say I have this directory structure in my user share:

• A
    • A.1
      • A.1.1
    • A.2
    • A.3

A is my parent folder, which I have set to NOT use the cache drives, as it as a whole is very big. However, I have files in the subfolder A.1.1 I often access(in this case music files), and I do not want want to wait for the spin-up-time for the drive, so i'd rather store it on my cache as the folder size is not that big anyway.

How would I do this without,  A) disableing spin-down, B) moving A.1.1 out of the A parent folder ?

You can create a new share 'SSD' to be cache only and then create a script to be run at array start or add to your go file:

mount --bind /mnt/user/SSD/ "/mnt/user/A/A.1/A.1.1"

files stored in A.1.1 will then actually be in the SSD share on the cache drive.  I do a similar thing in reverse to move some big plex files off my cache drive and onto the array in a script that runs at array start:

#!/bin/bash

mount --bind /mnt/user/plex_sync/ "/mnt/cache/appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache/Transcode/Sync+"

16 hours ago, DZMM said:

My way avoids having to keep moving files manually

Just tried it out, works fantastic! Was a bit tricky because I gave an oversimplified example for my question,  but I managed to work it out :)

For anyone else using this solution it's a good idea to use the "User script" plugin for this and schedule the mount script at the start of the array.

Love unRAID so far after having used it for a few months now.

Glad it worked out.  I'm not sure what the competing solutions are to unraid out there, but I'd always recommend unRAID as the community support is the best I've encountered for a product.  There's very little 'search the forum/google' shit here

Archived