(SOLVED) Disk 1 not filling up

HNGamingUK

1 minute ago, Conmyster said:

I added another 3TB drive to my system recently, however I noticed that disk 1 is showing to have 357GB Free, adding more things to my server but it is not using Disk 1.

Why would you expect it to fill disk 1 more, when other disks have more free space?

If you want to fill up disk 1 first you have to configure your shares to use the Fill-up allocation method. The default is the High-water allocation method which behaves as you're seeing. Go to the Shares tab in the GUI and click on the User Share name you want to change. Turn on Help to see an explanation of the choices available.

7 hours ago, John_M said:

If you want to fill up disk 1 first you have to configure your shares to use the Fill-up allocation method. The default is the High-water allocation method which behaves as you're seeing. Go to the Shares tab in the GUI and click on the User Share name you want to change. Turn on Help to see an explanation of the choices available.

Thanks very much :)

6 hours ago, Conmyster said:

Thanks very much :)

You're welcome. It's important that you understand the need to set the Minimum Free Space parameter for each share, and especially so if you choose Fill-up. Set it to a value not smaller than the largest file you expect to write to your array. If you don't then writing a large file to a nearly full disk can fail with disk full error instead of automatically switching to the next available disk. Also, the Split level is important because it takes precedence over the allocation method and can lead to confusion and questions such as "why is unRAID filling up the wrong disk?" 

Archived