Shares disappearing and apps becoming unresponsive

thebearjew

I have been plagued by instabilities on my Unraid server. The server will randomly drop my shares from the shares menu and all devices loose connection. Apps crash and become unresponsive, I cant stop or restart them. Rebooting the server resolves the issues for a time. Sometimes it goes a month or so without a hitch and other times I have to reboot several times a day. The errors I see in the log are posted below. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Tower kernel: traps: Plex Transcoder[10379] general protection ip:7f2ff1de79c2 sp:7fff84734b50 error:0

Tower kernel: traps: shfs[3443] general protection ip:2b5f85dba552 sp:2b5fb8b71a80 error:0

1 hour ago, thebearjew said:

Let me know if I should reboot and wait for the error to occur again.

The best time to get a diagnostic is immediately after the problem exhibits and before reboot.

Is there some reason you are still running this old version of unRAID? Some plugin authors will not support their plugins on this old version. And it might be that whatever is causing your trouble was fixed on a later version. Also the diagnostics from this old version are a little more trouble to work with.

From your syslog it looks like you originally setup without a cache drive and maybe some of your system shares (appdata) are still at least partially on the array. Stop the docker service, change appdata to cache-prefer, run mover, then restart docker service.

There was no specific reason for not running the latest version.

I have updated Unraid to 6.5.0

Updated Community Applications, CA Cleanup Appdata, CA Backup/Restore Appdata and CA Auto Update Applications.

I changed the cache use of the App Data share from Only to Prefer

Updated Docker Containers

Ran the mover

Started containers

I noticed the system share is set to use cache only. Should this also be changed to prefer? 

Now that the systems has been rebooted and everything is behaving ill keep an eye on it and post the diagnostics if the issue comes up again.

One thing to note is that I have been experiencing this issue for quite a while now. Several months ago I did a fresh install of Unraid and setup my array in the same configuration as before which allowed me to not have to rebuild the data. The issue persisted even after these steps were taken.

tower-diagnostics-20180422-1531.zip

Archived