Data and Parity 2 read errors, check OK w/self-test, rebuild then fail again

pepar

I have an array with 5 data disks and two parity disks. Several days ago just after it would have Moved data overnight, disk 5 and Parity 2 had red x's. Stopped array, ran long self-tests and both passed. Added disk 5 back into array and successfully rebuilt. Then added parity 2 back and BOTH it and disk 5 had read errors/failed. I repeated all of this two times. My array also has a hot spare that I used as parity 2 the THIRD time. Same results. Disk 5 rebuilds properly. I add the spare as parity 2 and again, the new and perfectly operating disk that is parity 2 AND the disk 5 fail.

I'd do it again, but the definition of insanity came to mind. I am out of ideas.

Jeff

Hmmm, I will look at that. That means my Highpoint 640L has a Marvell controller. I haven’t yet found what part is on the motherboard.

if I change controllers will I lose data or will unRAID read the disks and reintegrate them into the array?

Jumped on eBay and bought a fresh pulled LSI 9211-8i controller for $40 and two breakout cables for another $17.00. Guess I will never know why my Highpoint 640L took a crap, but that's what it *has* to be. Will know in about a week I guess.

Archived