RAM cache and disk cache

Laup

Hi,

1. I have 16G of RAM and unRaid is using 15G as cache, is that normal? (I did an extensive search for certain file types yesterday and found over 6,000 matches, but wouldn't any cache be cleared by now?)

2. My son does a lot of video editing and I am considering building an unRaid system for him as a gift, will a SSD cache screw up his editing as it seems that it writes the SSD cache to HD at a predefined time so I'm a bit confused about the operation. I assume if the disk cache is full it will immediately write to HD but what if he's in the middle of a render or something or if he accesses the final version file before the SSD cache has written it to HD. (Sorry, dumb newbie questions)

Any help appreciated. Thanks,

Paul

6 minutes ago, Laup said:

1. I have 16G of RAM and unRaid is using 15G as cache, is that normal? (I did an extensive search for certain file types yesterday and found over 6,000 matches, but wouldn't any cache be cleared by now?)

https://www.linuxatemyram.com/

7 minutes ago, Laup said:

I assume if the disk cache is full it will immediately write to HD but what if he's in the middle of a render or something or if he accesses the final version file before the SSD cache has written it to HD.

Mover will not touch open files.

You have control of when mover runs, you have control of whether and how each user share uses cache. See here for more details of the cache settings for a user share:

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/?page=2#comment-537383

You should also try to understand the other user share settings, especially Minimum Free. And there is also a Minimum Free setting for cache. If you don't set Minimum Free for cache in Global Share Settings, then the "overflow" mentioned at that link won't happen and you will get errors for running out of disk space instead.

Archived