fortytwo - unRAID X399 build

36 posts in this topic Last Reply

Build is still going strong, nearing 2 years later, running 24/7, and it is still serving me well... a testament to both the OS and the hardware.

A couple of updates recently:

• move from 4TB to 10TB array drives underway
  • 10GbE network upgrade (direct connection)
  • network upgrade to Unifi gear, hosting the controller on unraid.

Hoping to upgrade case soon for more space, with either go down a rack mount solution path i.e. rosewill 4u, or the new fractal define 7 xl.

Nearly forgot, also upgraded host GPU from AMD 5450 to Nvidia GT710, which has made GUI mode much nicer.

There seems to be some weirdness on the older AMD card on my 4K monitor that resulted in microscopic text on normal sized GUI... no such issues with the GT710.

This is only to do with the basic display driver, never had any issues in VMs with the appropriate drivers.

• 4 months later...

As I'm quite looking forward to 6.9 RC release, I've upgraded my licence to Unraid Pro.

I've done this for two reasons, I need the overall increased device capacity, and I'd like to continue supporting the good work team Limetech are doing.

What else is happening, well I've fallen onto the shuck train, and as it turns out either the 10TB drives I'm upgrading with don't utilize PWDIS, or my PSU is compliant... either way happy days!
Main array should hit 44TB once I'm done, with the replaced array disks going into service as pool devices once I've upgraded to 6.9.

I'll also need to do some hardware upgrades to support that as I'm at capacity of both physical case storage and sata ports, so that will probably be my next update!

• 2 months later...

Managed to snag a good deal (free shipping) on a pair of Rosewill RSV-L4500s from Newegg, a rare opportunity for an Aussie customer, especially given these have been out of stock for most of the year.

Looking forward to migrating my unraid server and workstation into a server rack in the coming weeks. 

4 hours ago, tjb_altf4 said:

Managed to snag a good deal (free shipping) on a pair of Rosewill RSV-L4500s from Newegg, a rare opportunity for an Aussie customer, especially given these have been out of stock for most of the year.

Looking forward to migrating my unraid server and workstation into a server rack in the coming weeks. 

Existing cooler, Noctua U14S TR4-SP3 (changed to chromax black and additional U14 fan) can install in 4U case ? Change to U9 ?

I have 1st gen TR too, but due to limited air cooler choice for 3U, so I haven't put it there.

I have idea to combine a 3U and 2U case be one, then I have a 5U for TR, but this can't perfectly fallback the case mod.

Finally, I change to X299 with Intel Core-X, waiting for the last parts coming .... CPU

Edited by Vr2Io
Just now, Vr2Io said:

Existing cooler, Noctua U14S TR4-SP3 (changed to chromax black and additional U14 fan) can install in 4U case ? Change to U9 ?

Will be picking a U9 most likely, but I'll do a test fit first... it might just squeeze in with different fans

18 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

I have idea to combine a 3U and 2U case be one, then I have a 5U for TR, but this can't perfectly fallback the case mod.

hotrodding i.e. cutting a hole and mounting a scoop (3d printed or the like) over the top is another thought I had to keep the existing cooler

Edited by tjb_altf4
11 hours ago, tjb_altf4 said:

hotrodding i.e. cutting a hole and mounting a scoop (3d printed or the like) over the top is another thought I had to keep the existing cooler

Yes, seems your top case cover not slide in to main case, so the hole can be the footprint of the cooler. ( mine are slide in type, so the hole need to be large enough )

Another method was print a large frame adaptor which adapt between the cover and the case, but you need a very large printer.

• 2 months later...

Based on recommendations and now that I've found stock I've ordered a pair of iStarUSA TC-RAIL-26, and a StarTech Open Rack 12U.

That should be enough to finish migrating to a rackmount setup.

Transferred my workstation to the RSV-L4500, that has an AIO + 7700K, so no issues with height on this one.

Hope to transfer the 1950X server over the xmas break when I've got time off.

• 2 weeks later...

OK lots of movement in the last few days.

• 12U rack build and rails attached to rack + cases
  • Unraid server migrated over to RSV-L4500 case
  • CPU cooler changed to the previously mentioned U9 to fit in the 4U form factor... its comically smaller than the U14S, but seems to keep up for now.

With only 8 of 15 bays populated, I can already see the advantages of a backplane loi... maybe the next project.

Have some more additions for the server coming, but for today I wanted to stay at the same baseline as much as possible in case I needed to troubleshoot problems.

6184987_PXL_20210102_101439054.PORTRAIT-Copy.thumb.jpg.ec3f588920d642dd42a50379e88fbd27.jpg

• 1 month later...

Bunked in with the in-laws for a few weeks while we are between houses.

They have zero internet connectivity though the house other than wifi and I'm setup at the opposite end of the house, so cable run is not an option.

After some head scratching and some trial and error, I came up with a suitable solution

1 AP is connected to unraid, the other AP is connected to my routers (WAN port) that is then connected to inlaws existing router (LAN port).

This way I can get wireless connectivity to my unraid server, but also preserve both our existing networks.

Other than some minor issues that come from the extra network overhead, its actually working quite well.