Hardware Change desaster

phileeny

currently my system has 2 parity drives, 2 cache drives and 16 data drives with a non raid controller.

I was going to move all the hardware in to a new bigger case and the only change with be the hard drive connections, but doing the move the motherboard died.

I've had to order new system parts, motherboard, CPU, I just hope the HDD controller still works.

will the my data still work when rebuilt?

will the USB still have the fully paid version on the new system?

is there anything I need to do when rebuilding to keep my data?

any help or advise?

3 hours ago, phileeny said:

will the my data still work when rebuilt?

Yes.

will the USB still have the fully paid version on the new system?

Yes.

is there anything I need to do when rebuilding to keep my data?

It should be plug'n play but if you run into any issues ask for help, don't start trying random stuff.

HELP!

Got the system built all drives detected booted unRaid, it got to the login screen.

On computer tried to login no connection, tried to login on unRaid screen, keyboard not working.

Rebooted unRaid to option screen keyboard working, selected GUI option, at login keyboard not working.

HELP!

IMG_20180603_160851.jpg

IMG_20180603_160931.jpg

IMG_20180603_160959.jpg

IMG_20180603_161012.jpg

IMG_20180603_161027.jpg

IMG_20180603_161057.jpg

IMG_20180603_161108.jpg

1 minute ago, phileeny said:

The USB has never been touched on removing from old system to new, surly it wouldn't boot if the name was wrong, how do I check?

The name does not affect the basic boot.   What it does affect is unRAID later loading up configuration information and starting services.   The easiest way to check the label is to put it into a pc or Mac and see what label is shown there.

Your data should be safe since it's stored on the actual array disks (and possibly also on cache disks).

Did you configure your unRAID to send out regular mails with the status of the machine? In that case, the mail will contain the list of the disks which would make it easy for you to create a new configuration matching the array. Or maybe you have happened to mail some status file to this forum in some previous support thread?

How easy it is to get running again with a new USB drive will depend on how much disks your machine have and how many of these disks that are part of the array and how many disks that aren't. If all disks are part of the array and you only used a single parity drive, then the single disk without a valid file system is the parity drive and the other are data drives. And unless your single parity is configured to be parity2, then it will not matter what order you use to assign the data disks.

Before you transfer the license I'd try whatever else you can think of to read the old USB stick, different PC, whatever, to see if you can get a backup. Your data is easy to get back up and running, any VM's and dockers will be a little more challenging without some files from the USB stick.

Before I pull the trigger and start the array, I've assigned all data drives to there original slots,

I've assigned the two cache drives to their original slots.

But I and unsure of the two parity drives, I don't know which is 1 and 2

does the parity slots matter?

10 minutes ago, phileeny said:

But I and unsure of the two parity drives, I don't know which is 1 and 2

does the parity slots matter?

Yes, the two parity drives are two different types, not interchangeable.

On 6/3/2018 at 1:52 PM, phileeny said:

I have the serial numbers.

So why are you unsure?

Archived