Need your advice on a new unRAID setup

Yarok

I see. The technical information of the IntelDH61BE you provided says the following:

The board provides six SATA connectors, which support one device per connector:

• Two internal SATA 6 Gb/s ports through the Marvell 88SE917X controller (blue)

• Four internal SATA 3 Gb/s ports (black)

...does this means the same thing, 4 SATA ports only? If so, it seems like i'm stuck anyway as i cannot seem to find a motherboard with 6 SATA ports handeld by the same controller.

I see. The technical information of the IntelDH61BE you provided says the following:

The board provides six SATA connectors, which support one device per connector:

• Two internal SATA 6 Gb/s ports through the Marvell 88SE917X controller (blue)

• Four internal SATA 3 Gb/s ports (black)

...does this means the same thing, 4 SATA ports only? If so, it seems like i'm stuck anyway as i cannot seem to find a motherboard with 6 SATA ports handeld by the same controller.

Oh, glad that you double checked...you are right!

That mobo has two sata chipsets as well...looks like a faulty spec that did not make it into all content/product catalogues of the shops. >:(

Specification Changes or Clarifications
Date Type of Change Description of Change or Clarification
May 2011 Spec Clarifications
• [...]
• The two SATA 6 Gb/s ports are through the Marvell 
88SE971X controller.  The following sections have been 
updated to reflect this:
? Table 1.  Feature Summary
? Section 1.9  SATA Interfaces

So, by the looks the H61 chipset only has 4 SATA included....

The B75 mobo I mentioned should be fine, except the risk with the NIC.

According to MSI detailed specs on their site:  http://www.msi.com/product/mb/B75MA-P45.html#/?div=Detail the 6 sata ports are directly with the B75 chipset.

You could also go for an additional SATA card + cables, but that'll be another 100-120EUR or so for a decent card.

I have seen remarks in the forum on a SIL controller based cards with 2 or 4 ports....cheap but not all models seem to work, see here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=10275.msg97847#msg97847

Well, the B75 is cheaper than Intel so i can still cram a NIC in my budget.

Would this Intel® EXPI9301CT do the trick?

I've checked your link but i'm not really comfortable with the idea of tempering with something i'm not familiar  :-[

If the Intel NIC above is adequate, i'll stick with the alternative of having an all native SATA chipset and adding an extra network card :)

...just checked the specs...the B75 should have 6 sata ports, according to this: http://ark.intel.com/products/64030/Intel-BD82B75-PCH

Some boards only have 5 deployed or feature an additional eSATA port.

Well, the B75 is cheaper than Intel so i can still cram a NIC in my budget.

Would this Intel® EXPI9301CT do the trick?

I've checked your link but i'm not really comfortable with the idea of tempering with something i'm not familiar  :-[

If the Intel NIC above is adequate, i'll stick with the alternative of having an all native SATA chipset and adding an extra network card :)

According to Intel (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/network-adapters/gigabit-network-adapters/gigabit-ct-desktop-adapter.html) this card is based on a "Intel® 82574L Gigabit Ethernet Controller"

Although this is a desktop card, you can find even many server boards equipped with that chip....users report that you'll have to disable ASPM for the PCI(e) bus in BIOS, in order to have a stable network connection.

That card should work very well with unRAID.

....unRAID will only use the first NIC it finds...make sure you disable the Realtek NIC in BIOS  ;)

Edit: look here, the card is even cheaper in Germany http://www.amazon.de/Intel-EXPI9301CTBLK-PRO1000-Netzwerkkarte-PCIex/dp/B001CY0P7G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357227367&sr=8-2

AFAIK amazon.de ships free of charge to Belgium.  ;)

Goods news for that Intel card! It is cheaper in Germany, but for that small difference i think i'll stick with just one shop ;)

I found an AMD alternative that would clear me from the SATA chipsets issues, hopefully:

ASRock 880GM-LE FX with 6x SATA 300 with an ATI SB700 chipset (approved in the compatibility list)

AMD Athlon II X3 450 so that i can keep the following RAM

Kingston HyperX 4 GB DDR3-1333 Kit

Intel® EXPI9301CT to replace the onboard Realtek RTL8111DL

How's that :)?

...If you have a use for one more core, it should do fine.

Although I do not know if the AM3 cpu will fit the AM3+ mobo.

By the numbers, the MSI-B75 + Intel Cel-G540 is cheaper than your AMD build.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go with the Intel based build

Technically, for 6x SATA both builds should do fine...I believe the RT8111E is even a potential lower risk than the RT8111DL with unRAID (if you are fast, you can test and return the Intel card for refund)

If you can spend the extra 20bucks for the AMD, I'd even upgrade to a Pentium G instead of the Celeron.  ;)

It will even idle on lower power than the Cel-D and the AMD because of EIST and it will also idle the HD GPU...the GPU on the AM3+ mobo will possibly consume more on idle (a GPU is no use in unRAID anyway)

The G860 (http://www.alternate.be/html/product/Intel®/Pentium®_G860/913956/?) also should go nicely with your RAM selection.

This will outrun the three cores of the AMD, I think.  8)

...sorry, I am a converted Intel fan for (near-)desktop or small home server based builds.....real Servers are a different story as far as bang for the buck is concerned.  ;D

Edit: oh, look...the G860 is cheaper in Germany again http://www.amazon.de/Intel-Pentium-Prozessor-L3-Cache-Sockel/dp/B005JBPS48/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1357298914&sr=1-2

Do you pay shipment from Alternate in .be?  :-X

CPU AM3/Mobo AM3+: I assume is should work, i found this kind of setup here.

I also have tendency to pick Intel over AMD but that's another story.

Switching the Celeron for a Pentium G instead is a good idea!

The shop is a 20 min drive from home: no shipping :)

This setup is just below the 200euro mark i was aiming for so i'll just keep it as it is:

Mobo Intel® Desktop Board DH61BEB3 (€74.90)

CPU Intel® Pentium® G860 (€69.90)

RAM Kingston HyperX 4 GB DDR3-1333 Kit (€25.99)

NIC Intel® EXPI9301CT (€27.99)

Again, thank you for your help!

CPU AM3/Mobo AM3+: I assume is should work, i found this kind of setup here.

I also have tendency to pick Intel over AMD but that's another story.

Switching the Celeron for a Pentium G instead is a good idea!

The shop is a 20 min drive from home: no shipping :)

This setup is just below the 200euro mark i was aiming for so i'll just keep it as it is:

Mobo Intel® Desktop Board DH61BEB3 (€74.90)

CPU Intel® Pentium® G860 (€69.90)

RAM Kingston HyperX 4 GB DDR3-1333 Kit (€25.99)

NIC Intel® EXPI9301CT (€27.99)

Again, thank you for your help!

??? wrong Board?  4x SATA only with a H61 ...You need to go for B75 ;-)

Edit: but THIS has an Intel NIC already on board.

Edit-2:

So in your store, I'd either go for:

ASROCK: http://www.alternate.be/html/product/ASRock/B75_Pro3-M/1000000/? (6 SATA on B75 + 2 SATA on ASMedia), or

ASUS: http://www.alternate.be/html/product/ASUS/P8B75-M_LE/991251/? , or

MSI: http://www.alternate.be/html/product/MSI/B75MA-P45/998211/?

I gotta stop trying to do twenty things at the same time :P

We're talking THIS one, aren't we?

...see my edit right above with the links.  ;D

Your shop has three boards with B75 and 6xSATA that will work in your price-range, as I see it.

The ASROCK you linked is one of them...it also has an additonal 2 ports on ASMEDIA...you have a good chance to end up with 8 sata with the tweak mentioned (which seems to be VERY easy).

...but also one component more to fail...based on manufactueres reputation, I'd probably go with the ASUS, but it is highest price.

ASROCK and ASUS , both have 2x PCIe-x16...might indicate they are tuned to host more GPU cards...the MSI has 1xPCIe-x16 plus 1xPCIe-x1

The MSI is cheapest and looks OK...not cramped with gizmos that could fail...looks like a decent board. to me.

lol

It is true that i don't need any gpu installed on this rig, i've overlooked this part. Never had any issue with two previous MSI mobos so i'll get the MSI B75 with a G860 cpu, the Kingston Hyper X RAM and the Intel NIC. Phew :)

...that will work out nicely, I am very confident.

EDIT: make sure you go for the MSI-B75MA-P45 and NOT for the MSI-B75MA-E33  ;)

I actually don't know if  a 1155 desktop board will POST without a GPU present.

But in the Pentium G range, the GPU comes at "no cost" and it will go in deep freeze with unRAID...so no real energy cost.

That box also will make for quite a nice HTPC build if your are looking into employing it for other purposes.

And don't forget to disable the Realtek NIC in BIOS before using the Intel NIC with unRAID (just in case your're assembling the kit with your 20 hands in parallel  :P)

Good luck with your project...just report back how everything goes.

FP, you might be happy to read that this afternoon, i was able to launch the pre-clear operations for a first setup of three hdd's (2To parity + 1To + 1To) :)

Building the rig was very quick. I just had a few minor issues at the very beginning but so far things seems to be running smoothly.

This is in great part thanks to you, cheers mate!

Hi there,

nice to read :) I´m also checking out possible boards for an upcoming unraid.

Just one question, why did you choose the Asrock over the Intel DH61BE ? For me it seems as the Intel-Board would be a good deal with 6x SATA and Intel-NIC onboard ?

Cheers

Actually had a question regarding the PSU.

Currently there's an OCZ StealthXStream 500W installed in the rig. If i'm not mistaking this is a dual rail 12V SATA/ATA PSU with 3 SATA connectors on one rail, and another 4 ATA molexes on another rail.

So this means i could only feed three SATA disks at the same time. Ultimately my setup would include 6x SATA:

- Can i use three SATA Y-splitters to feed six drives?

- Should i rather make use of the molex rail and use some ATA to SATA adaptors?

- None of the above, i'm better of with ditching this PSU and get another one more suited to the task?

Here are the specs.

Cheers :)

Actually had a question regarding the PSU.

Currently there's an OCZ StealthXStream 500W installed in the rig. If i'm not mistaking this is a dual rail 12V SATA/ATA PSU with 3 SATA connectors on one rail, and another 4 ATA molexes on another rail.

So this means i could only feed three SATA disks at the same time. Ultimately my setup would include 6x SATA:

- Can i use three SATA Y-splitters to feed six drives?

- Should i rather make use of the molex rail and use some ATA to SATA adaptors?

- None of the above, i'm better of with ditching this PSU and get another one more suited to the task?

Here are the specs.

Cheers :)

...see the drawing from the specs site: http://www.ocztechnology.com/resources/drivers/OCZ-500-SXS.pdf

All your relevant connectors are on the second rail (12V2).

...you have 18amps to "play with"...with all green drives and even 1A per drive at spinup, all should do fine.

...your 65W TDP CPU consumes another 6-8A on that rail - maybe - upon startup, I'd say.

Edit: The CPU will most possibly draw from CPU-Power connector, which is on 12V1..motherboard on mothzerboard-connector on 12V2 will most likely draw less than that number, but I am no expert.

You could make use of a kill-a-Watt that catches/holds peak-power during startup to get real figures (but only overall figures, not per rail).

My guess is you have 2-4 amps headroom upon startup.

With green drives, you could use splitters or use adapters as well...same rail...each cable should be good for all 18Amps.

I'd probably use adapters, since they are cheaper around here and split load between cables nevertheless.

If you want to keep the no. of disks for quite a while and focus on energy-efficiency,

I'd go for a lower Wattage, single 12V 80Plus Gold/Platimum instead (increasing efficiency when idle).

A 250-300W should do with your setup.

Hi there,

nice to read :) I´m also checking out possible boards for an upcoming unraid.

Just one question, why did you choose the Asrock over the Intel DH61BE ? For me it seems as the Intel-Board would be a good deal with 6x SATA and Intel-NIC onboard ?

Cheers

Nope, you must have misread something.

See this post.http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=7495.msg217689#msg217689...the Intel mobo has an intel NIC, yes...but only 4+2 SATA...H61 Chipset has only 4 ports....other 2 are coming from marvel based chip.

The ASROCK was based on B75 chipset...6xSATA on B75 ...and had an additional 2 SATA on ASMEDIA, which can be enabled as well.

OP just refused to use that tweak.

FP, you might be happy to read that this afternoon, i was able to launch the pre-clear operations for a first setup of three hdd's (2To parity + 1To + 1To) :)

Building the rig was very quick. I just had a few minor issues at the very beginning but so far things seems to be running smoothly.

This is in great part thanks to you, cheers mate!

Your're welcome...thanks for sharing.

...see the drawing from the specs site: http://www.ocztechnology.com/resources/drivers/OCZ-500-SXS.pdf

All your relevant connectors are on the second rail (12V2).

...you have 18amps to "play with"...with all green drives and even 1A per drive at spinup, all should do fine.

...your 65W TDP CPU consumes another 6-8A on that rail - maybe - upon startup, I'd say.

Edit: The CPU will most possibly draw from CPU-Power connector, which is on 12V1..motherboard on mothzerboard-connector on 12V2 will most likely draw less than that number, but I am no expert.

You could make use of a kill-a-Watt that catches/holds peak-power during startup to get real figures (but only overall figures, not per rail).

My guess is you have 2-4 amps headroom upon startup.

With green drives, you could use splitters or use adapters as well...same rail...each cable should be good for all 18Amps.

I'd probably use adapters, since they are cheaper around here and split load between cables nevertheless.

If you want to keep the no. of disks for quite a while and focus on energy-efficiency,

I'd go for a lower Wattage, single 12V 80Plus Gold/Platimum instead (increasing efficiency when idle).

A 250-300W should do with your setup.

Thank FP, i didn't saw it this way. I went ahead and ordered some splitters on eBay as they were very cheap (and they look neater than molex to SATA adapters imho :P).

Since my last update the setup is complete, right now i'm learning about shares and such.

Cheers!

Archived