Slow Zeroing speeds compared to other people on the internet.

neil

I was preclearing 2 drives and I had a power outage in my area when the drives were zeroing. There are a lot of power outages in my area. So, I decided to cancel the preclear and just went with zeroing them instead as I was worried about another power failure.

My 4 TB WD red which was doing the initial reading at 150 MBps is now zeroing in at an average speed of 47 MBps only. Is this speed normal?

I read some where on the forums that some guy's wd 5 tb red completed the entire preclear which included all the steps in a 1 day. Looking at the speed my drive is giving it will probably complete one step which is zeroing, in 24 hrs.

Is something wrong with my drive? should I be worried? how much time does zeroing in a 4tb drive usually take and at what speeds does this process usually hapen?

I would really like to know what is the average zeroing time of a wd red 4 tb or equivalent. My drive was running at 45 MB during zeroing. I thought something was off so i restarted unraid and restarted zeroing. Now its running at a constant rate of 65 MBps. My avg reads on drives were 136 MBps. Sonething is still not right.

Thats why i need to figure out what is the average zeroing in speed? Its my main worry right now.

Someone posted their drive results on the forums

First example of a user with 5 TB:-

Preclear Successful

... Total time 40:05:21

... Pre-Read time 9:09:02 (151 MB/s)

... Zeroing time 8:11:57 (169 MB/s)

... Post-Read time 22:43:19 (61 MB/s)

Second example :- another user posted this saying

https://i.imgur.com/btMH3hL.jpg

his zeroing speed is near 200 Mbps

Third User Results

His results:

---------------------------------------------------

Preclear

(Cycle 1, before power interruption)

- Initial Pre Read speed at the commencement of the preclear was ~170MB/s for ALL 3 drives.

- All three completed their Pre Read with a FINAL speed at 100% of ~80MB/s taking ~20 Hours.

- Initial zeroing speed of cycle 1 of 3 was ~200MB/s for ALL 3 drives.

- All three completed their Zeroing with a FINAL speed at 100% of ~138 MB/s taking ~16 Hours.

My drive is a normal consumer wd red 4 TB which was reading at the same speed as other users but I am unable to understand the fact that, why am I getting a mere 65 MBps zeroing speed. It should be twice that when comparing to other people who posted their results.

I am worried about my drive :(

Another thing happened when you replied Unraid os got hanged up. Had to manually restart it with the button. Also unable to resume a preclear as a screen tells to input yes to proceed but when i try to type yes and i press enter nothing happens and the problem with slow zeroing speeds :( not having good luck with unraid so far. Atleast i got a 1 TB drive to zero in at slow speed. Cant start a array when I am not able to preclear the 4tb and even if it starts to pre clear the zeroing in speeds are half of what other other users are having.

its night 1 am here trying to get the 4 tb to start zeroing somehow with speeds ther users are reporting. So it can finish up a little while i sleep. waitin for some help. unable to resume the preclear.the prompt keeps saying type yes to start. I type yes on keyboard and enter but nothing happens. It was on 40 percent zeroing. 

Here is the zip file

server-diagnostics-20180725-1234.zip

18 minutes ago, trurl said:

Tools - Diagnostics, post complete zip

Another thing happened when you replied Unraid os got hanged up. Had to manually restart it with the button. Also unable to resume a preclear as a screen tells to input yes to proceed but when i try to type yes and i press enter nothing happens and the problem with slow zeroing speeds :( not having good luck with unraid so far. At least i got a 1 TB drive to zero in at slow speed. Cant start a array when I am not able to preclear the 4tb and even if it starts to pre clear the zeroing in speeds are half of what other other users are having.

its night 1 am here trying to get the 4 tb to start zeroing somehow with speeds ther users are reporting. So it can finish up a little while i sleep. waitin for some help. unable to resume the preclear.the prompt keeps saying type yes to start. I type yes on the keyboard and enter but nothing happens. It was on 40 percent zeroing. 

Here is the zip file

Archived