How to find what files are missing on a Drive Failure

Sorry for totally noob question, I am not using a parity drive, since I have a backup of all my data on external drives. Incase of a Drive Failure, I would like to know is there a way to find out the names of the files/folders that were on that drive, so that I can restore those files from my external drives?

I have setup user shares with Movies, TV Shows, Games, Softwares, Backups etc. A single share is using 4 drives to store that data. How can I find out what drive stored what data?

Doesn't matter if you have a parity drive or not. There isn't any list of any kind saying what disk contains which files unless you make one yourself. You could compare against your backups to see what's missing. Depending on how you have your backups organized that could be relatively easy, or very difficult.

13 hours ago, trurl said:

Doesn't matter if you have a parity drive or not. There isn't any list of any kind saying what disk contains which files unless you make one yourself. You could compare against your backups to see what's missing. Depending on how you have your backups organized that could be relatively easy, or very difficult.

Probably a feature worth considering adding in future. Or a Plugin to make lists of all the contents of the Drive, then a copy of the list saved to each drive.

2 hours ago, jondak said:

Hello,

I use this to catalog my disks:

https://www.whereisit-soft.com

There is also https://www.wincatalog.com but I never used it but seems similar to whereisit.

Cheers.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Since both of these would require that you allow Windows to access the actual disks on your unRAID server, you would have to share the actual disks over the network and not just the user shares. If you enable disk shares you must be very careful to avoid mixing disks and user shares when moving or copying files since you can lose data that way.

On 8/6/2018 at 4:58 PM, jondak said:

I use this to catalog my disks:

https://www.whereisit-soft.com

I downloaded and tested this app on 4 TB of data (turning on option to also compute CRC-32).

After 12 hours, it was progressing. But seriously slow compared to what my machine needs to instead read all content and compute SHA-256 on all files using a different program.

After 17 hours, it had got further.

After 22 hours, it's stuck at the same file as after 17 hours.

I don't really trust the file it claims to be stuck on - the next file if following the process order the app seems to use (reversed alphabetical), was a PasswordSafe file with a file lock on.

That program needs to learn how to use threads when scanning.

And getting stuck isn't a good quality stamp.

Especially since the request to break the scan also failed with two popup messages about invalid access followed by a total lockup.

Great recommendations, in order for me to make a list of all files & folders, I am using File List Export on Mac (the app I already had), have enables disk shares, and created the list manually. Then disabled the disk shares, since user shares are what I use on regular basis. 

Thanks all for your recommendations and inputs.