Marino

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did a reboot (Step 5 and 8).

Maybe I misunderstood the wiki. When i unassigned the parity drive in Step 2, how can i unassign it after reboot again in Step 10? After reboot (Step 5)  it wasn’t assigned anymore. I left the drive in the case, because I wanted to copy from it.

Because I took out the autostart of the array, I had not to stop it (Step 9).

Step 12: Where Do i had to resign it?

What I’ve done:

1. Stopped the array
  2. unassigned the old parity drive
  3. start the array. There was no checkboy „Yes I want to do this“
  4. stopped array
  5. power down
  6. power on (Array was not started, no autostart activated)
  7. New drive assigned as parity
  8. Because of the lack of „copy“ button I assigned the old parity as data drive (maybe this was wrong. But when there is a new parity drive and I want to replace a data drive (Step 12), how can I restore data without parity and with on data-device less?
Edited by Marino

Okay, when this only covers up this special task I am not wondering, why there was no copy-button.

Which is then the right way to replace an existing parity drive with a larger one? When there is no option to copy, which would be very nice, then I always have to compute the parity from scratch and the only thing I could have done better is to take out the vsalid parity drive in case something happens during parity build?

Thank you. I was confused, because i hoped to copy the parity data. When this would work with parity swap why not here?

Now I understand why I can't unassign the drive in step 2 and again in step 10, because the first means the data drive and the second obviously the parity drive.

Then this should work perfectly and I have to reconstruct to the old parity drive (3TB) and not on a 4TB drive as I wanted before, because the old parity is placed as Disk7 and the 4TB is for swapping.

I thought it would be less stressful for the data disks. But I also thought that the drives are spinning the complete time and as I looked on my server a few seconds ago the speed of computing parity increased to 185MB/s and all the data drives aren't spinning anymore while computing parity. :)

This pisses me off a little. After nearly 60 hours of preclearing, I finally could add the two 12TB disks in my array. But unraid don't recognize them as precleared and startet with clearing to add them. :(

When this task is done (14 hours), I've to copy data of 4 Disks (9,5TB) and then remove these 4 disks. After removing unraid has to calculate parity again. This hole thing takes like forever :( 

Don't get me wrong, preclearing is testing the drives an gives them over 60 hours of running time which is great. But I thougt with zeros on it, I can add them instantly. Kind of

And finally when this is done, I can add the other disks in my other array to build dual parity, copy the offline 3TB disk to the new one and calculate parity.

I had always thought that unraid increases the availability, but my servers are offline for over a week...

Edited by Marino

Just some feedback from my point of view, preclear was make heavy write load to disk, it may useful for loading old disk to check have error or not. So I won't do that on new disk. Those loading may have negative effect for the disk write head due to long duration loading.

Besides, if you no need lot of capacity ( just 9.5TB ), why buy 3x 12TB at a time. From my experience, disk would degrade/die after some years no matter light or heavy usage. So I would buying just make and peroidic swap out age disk to be backup purpose.

Edited by Benson

Many people sad I would be better, because it gives the disks a test run. You're right. It stresses the disks a little bit to run 60 hours in "one task" with full load. At the one hand is that a good test and on the other hand a long time and the are getting more temperature as they would in normal use what is a disadvantage. Sometimes when it was very warm here, I used 4 hard drive mounting brackets and put them randomly in the freezer and on the disks. There were no condensate, I looked for it. But it cooles the disks 5-6°C down...

I have to reorder some things. Extern I have 4TB of Videos and Photos some data from my other server will go on this server and in addition to that I lost a 3TB drive on my other server and will go to a dual parity which takes another data drive with 4TB. Two disks are going to be disconnected. The 1 and 1,5TB ones.

Thats loss of 9,5TB in total for data on the server. 

So the 2 12TB disks are going to be a little more than half full (14-16TB + reordering with other server) and for that I need a second disk in this array. I don't want to take an 3-8TB one for that, when I have a 12TB parity.

Edited by Marino
18 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

It should, if preclear was successful unRAID would recognize the drives as cleared, it's one of the uses of preclear, but there have been some issues with the plugin lately, so likely they weren't properly cleared.

preclearing was successfully finished on both. But only on shows precleared on "FS" and this long before finished. But atm both of them are getting cleared.

Edited by Marino

Note, we spend those most just for fun.

Today, I busy on make a 10g NIC work with unRAID, this NIC was a new try. It is Emulex Oce10102. I am not sure it work or not, but it just cost ~40usd (NIC + 2SFP+). Anyway, spend several hrs, it work good but hot. I also buy two 6gb SAS expander ~10usd each.

All come from China, so happy and share.

Edited by Benson

I got the note. But it isn't fun anymore, when both of my servers are in my living room and are mostly not accessible. 

10g NIC and even Link Aggregation is really nice. In my case I am working on a MacBook Pro and using LAN for that. What cables do you using? Maybe there is a way for me to use this in future, too. My Appartement is fully cabled with CAT7, but there is no wall plug to use this.

Unraid > 10 gig to Cisco SG200 (SFP+) > Living room would be cool, when I could use this with my MacBook. For something likes this, i really enjoy spending time for research.

I have a 6 month old daughter, so I've to set priorities. And these are on things what i like to do :)

I cross one fingers that your test is successful! Sounds really nice ;) 

Edited by Marino
42 minutes ago, Marino said:

What cables do you using?

The 10G network use LC optical and all 1G was CAT5, they all in short just several meter. I have Cisco SG200-08 ( no SFP ), I like it much as rich useful feature.

50 minutes ago, Marino said:

I have a 6 month old daughter, so I've to set priorities.

Nice, this important too.

51 minutes ago, Marino said:

I cross one fingers that your test is successful! Sounds really nice

Thanks.

I have the 200-08P too. This is for my Ubiquiti Stuff (CloudKey, 3AP's) along with an 200-26 and the house electronic is using an 200-26P. Good devices. But sometimes a bit annoying, that the 08 is the only one which is having a UI, which is a bit different from the others.