I'm very confused and need help here I'm fed up!!!

OK first off let me say i am below a newb when it comes to this linux and programing chat.

That been said i do build my own system but never a server, I guess its the software side of things that have me banging my head against the freaking wall >:(

MY CURRENT HARDWARE...

Cooler-master 590 case

Gigabyte MA74GM-S2 Mother board

AMD A64 X2 5000+

2 gig PQI Memory

Sandisk cruzer 2 gig memory stick

2 hard drives.1- 320 gig for parity/1- 160 gig for data....

So far i got everything up and running......

My problem is i'm trying to setup unmenu but i can't understand not one thing for the life of me.

1. All this script and stuff is put on the USB drive, but how? do shut down the unraid server and pull the usb stick out and load the files via your windows

box.

2.Do you use a text editor to wright the files then save them to the usb stick. can note pad be use?

3.I try to follow the instruction here http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2595.msg23943#msg23943 it states its supposed to be 3 files but when

I download the file from here http://code.google.com/p/unraid-unmenu/ and extract it its only one file name unmenu_install.

This is what i did plug usb stick in my win7 box open the usb stick in win explorer there i could see all the unraid server files i created a folder called unmenu then extract the unmenu_install135.zip file to the unmenu folder i created. I then open the config folder containing the "go" file as stated in the instruction i

type in "/boot/unmenu/uu" and save it.

So far nothing...I really fell like just tossing the whole freaking rig out the window.... >:(

I seems the instructions are really vague not newb friendly or maybe its just me. Going from link to link seems very confusing  ???

Can someone please help me out here.......

First...   calm down.   You've never asked for assistance, and if I can make the instructions more clear, I'll do it to help those in the future.  

You do not need to move the flash drive to the PC to install unmenu.  You can if that is your desire but it is not necessary.

Second.  unMENU is an add-on, and it has absolutely nothing to do with lime-technology's product.  To say you are "fed up" seems extreme, especially if you've never asked for any guidance.

At the top of the post you "tried to follow" it says:

May 6th, 2010.  This set of installation instructions in the following post is very out of date.  unMENU is now available as a single zip file, downloadable from google.code.   The zip file contains a unmenu_install script that will download the newest versions of all the plug-ins and package-configuration files available.  

See this post for detail: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5568.0

Joe L.

Perhaps you missed that.  

The old version of unMENU did have three zip files.  The new has only one zip file and in it is only one file unmenu_install.

You need to realize that unMENU evolved over a several year period and you are attempting to read a thread from the middle.

I download the file from here http://code.google.com/p/unraid-unmenu/  and extract it its only one file name unmenu_install.

Good.   That is the one file you need.

This is what i did plug usb stick in my win7 box open the usb stick in win explorer there i could see all the unraid server files i created a folder called unmenu then extract the unmenu_install135.zip file to the unmenu folder i created.

OK, you can now move the flash drive back to your unRAID server and boot it up.

You need to perform the next step, the one you omitted, by logging in at either the system console or via telnet.

Once you log in as "root" (with no password needed) you can then type:

cd /boot/unmenu

unmenu_install -i -d /boot/unmenu

exactly as described on the http://code.google.com/p/unraid-unmenu/ page.

this will download and install the unMENU files.  Until you perform that step all you installed was the program that does the installation.   Once unmenu_install finishes, you can then start unMENU by typing:

To start unmenu running, invoke it as

/boot/unmenu/uu

or

cd /boot/unmenu

./uu

I then open the config folder containing the "go" file as stated in the instruction

type in "/boot/unmenu/uu" and save it.

you can also add a line that will invoke it to the config/go script (and apparently, you've already performed that step, so it is ready fot the next time you reboot the server, but ONLY IF YOU ACTUALLY INSTALL IT)  

So, you skipped the whole middle section in the set of instructions here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5568.0

So far nothing...I really fell like just tossing the whole freaking rig out the window.... Angry

I seems the instructions are really vague not newb friendly or maybe its just me. Going from link to link seems very confusing  Huh

Hate to tell you this, but it is not vague, and perhaps it can be improved for somebody who is a complete newb, but a lot of your difficulty is that you are not reading the content of the thread.   If you had followed the link when the very first thing it says is "these instructions are out of date, use these alternate instructions instead...." perhaps things would have worked out better for you.  

Can someone please help me out here.......

Only if you don't toss your server out the window.  

Joe L.

Joe L...

Before i go off and follow your directions (big thanks)  ;D I have to admit i let my frustrations got the best of me.

I must say for me its some what intimidating to ask questions (how else can I learn) cause I'm such a noob at this. As with many other forums i visit i usually search around and do a lot of reading to figure stuff out. but i guess it doesn't always work that way and it does not hurt to ask for help. :-[

Thanks again for your help, now off to the races.

Joe L....

Man i don't know in how many different ways i could say thank you for your help with this. You are correct in every point you made on your first reply.

I done it, the darn thing work i'm so ecstatic. Take it from me, for all the noobs if i can do it, then anyone can.

Looking back its so easy to do.Just a bit confuse on my part

Once again thank you Joe L and thanks for this great community.  ;D

pic

22101974.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A lot of forums i vist the OP would have been torn a new a$$ over a post like that and thread would have turned into a hate session. Good to see mature heads win the day here.

Some potential users of technology will not post questions and will just give up. There are various things I know little about but don't care to ask because I don't wish to deal with the inevitable intellectual snobbery that follows, replies like "this has been answered a billion times, do a search", "RTFM", "Google Is Your Friend", etc.

A lot of forums i vist the OP would have been torn a new a$$ over a post like that and thread would have turned into a hate session. Good to see mature heads win the day here.

Some potential users of technology will not post questions and will just give up. There are various things I know little about but don't care to ask because I don't wish to deal with the inevitable intellectual snobbery that follows, replies like "this has been answered a billion times, do a search", "RTFM", "Google Is Your Friend", etc.

Yes, I could have responded that way... but decided not to...  On rare occasions I slip, but for the most part, I try to help rather than alienate.

Joe L.

Don't feel bad Joe L has corrected me many times when I try to help out when I give incorrect advice. He has always been professional and has always said something to the tune of . I think you meant to say. Of course he has always been right and never has rubbed it in to prove his correctness. Kinda nice to know even when you mess up, which I'm sure we all do somebody will step up with the correct answer because somebody's data could be on the line and you don't feel like a total idiot when you are corrected.

With that in mind I've been up to the task of helping out with my limited knowledge knowing that others look and wont tear you a new one if/when you give bad advice. Just like the new users even a bit older users sometimes could use a little coaching.  ;D

With that in mind I've been up to the task of helping out with my limited knowledge knowing that others look and wont tear you a new one if/when you give bad advice. Just like the new users even a bit older users sometimes could use a little coaching.  ;D

Yep, I've done it too.  LimeTech even had to step in an correct me once! :-X

The wrong advice in the wrong situation (drive failure in an array) can cause data loss.  Even though it is not your data, when giving advice it is best to think of it as if it was your data.

All that said, we can all make mistakes... me too...  (just ask my wife  ;D)  I can't remember my advice being the cause of data loss, but I can always remember to keep the possibility in mind.   

Most important for ANYBODY reading this going forward is to read the complete response (and set of responses) to a plea for help.  Odds are you'll get the correct advice.  If you even think you might not understand, or you think the risk to your data is too high for your comfort, state so in your next post and wait for any possible alternatives.  (there are ALWAYS alternatives)

Joe L.

Yeah my mistakes have been simple ones.

/mnt/dev/ when it should be /mnt/device/ LOL

When it comes to data loss I've always kicked back and watched you guys because you guys pull off some large and small miracles and like Joe L said I wouldn't want to put anybodys data at risk because I'd hate to be the one thinking I just helped somebody loose the birth of their first born or Their marriage photos because I was watching TV when I posted how to fix something.

Well thats one of the reasons i just try to read, (apparently i did not read enough) so i don't get a new hole ripped in my ribs :o

The way i came off was not appropriate. The way i did, make it seems someone here owes me something which was not my intent.

I just can't stand expert snobbery ::) in some other boards i frequent.

However this community here is very open and friendly, the more knowledgeable posters always go  above and beyond to help, and for that i am very

grateful.

Thanks again for all the help...........