Switching to unRaid

Hi Everyone,

I made a thread awhile back but never ended up making the full switch... I am now ready to do so I am in the process of pricing up a new build as per below:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/jonathan.gorbutt/saved/V8fpGX

Let me know what you guys think... any feedback is welcome!

I am currently using a HP Microserver Gen8 w/ DrivePool and no redundancy, I then Cloud back up my important stuff which is everything except Movies and TV shows...

I plan to do the same with unRaid everything will be backed up other then Movies and TVShows as I can always re-rip my blu-rays or download them again... 

I was hoping someone could answer a question... since I have not built me new unraid system yet I was considering moving my current server on to unraid and then when I get my new hardware... just transfer the drives into that system? would this work as in moving the drives to new hardware or would that screw with unRaid?

Another question I have it that I currently use 4TB WD REDS I was considering buying some new drives later on... thought about going to the 8TB WD REDS just wondering if I would be better off getting more 4TB's in the sense off if I do loose data it will be 4TB rather then a possible 8TB?

Many Thanks

-Jonathan

7 hours ago, jonathan.gorbutt said:

since I have not built me new unraid system yet I was considering moving my current server on to unraid and then when I get my new hardware... just transfer the drives into that system?

As long as the controller in the HP Microserver is set to AHCI mode, no RAID, there won't be any problem transferring the drives to the new server.

7 hours ago, jonathan.gorbutt said:

Another question I have it that I currently use 4TB WD REDS I was considering buying some new drives later on... thought about going to the 8TB WD REDS just wondering if I would be better off getting more 4TB's in the sense off if I do loose data it will be 4TB rather then a possible 8TB?

You can get 8TB disks and still used them replace a failed 4 TB disk, though parity would need to be replaced first, but there's a procedure for that called the parity swap.

19 hours ago, jonathan.gorbutt said:

thought about going to the 8TB WD REDS just wondering if I would be better off getting more 4TB's in the sense off if I do loose data it will be 4TB rather then a possible 8TB?

Better way to look at it is, fewer drives has fewer opportunities for failure. You really shouldn't lose any important data anyway since you have backups of important things. And even losing a disk is something you should be able to recover from with parity.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Better way to look at it is, fewer drives has fewer opportunities for failure. You really shouldn't loose any important data anyway since you have backups of important things. And even losing a disk is something you should be able to recover from with parity.

Agree, sorry my response above wasn't related to your question, I have a tendency to read the posts to quickly and this happens sometimes.