Multi-Drive Upgrade Question

TODDLT

I am about to do a multi-drive upgrade / swap and considering whether or not to do two at a time.

1st I'm upgrading my parity from 3TB to 6TB, so that is two drives.

2nd I'm upgrading one of my data drives from 3TB to 6 TB.

3rd I'm using the 3TB data and one of the 3TB parity drives to replace 2 - 7 or 8 yr old 2TB data drives in the array.

So that is 5 drives being replaced.  If I do them one at a time, its 5 - 9-10 hour swaps.

The question is would you undertake any of those 2 at a time still having 7 / 8 yr old drives in the array?  

The 2nd question is, If I was replacing 2 drives, and a 3rd died, could I put the old 2 drives (that were being replaced) back in place and rebuild the 3rd now dead drive? 

2 hours ago, ashman70 said:

AFAIK, you can't do more than one at a time, or you will destroy your array. Since you only have one parity drive, you can only replace one data drive at a time.

My advice, do the parity drive first and then the rest the way you have planned. Do not attempt to do more than one drive at a time.

I must not have been clear.  I have two parity drives.  

I just did a 2 drive rebuild and all went good but was crossing my fingers all the way. I don't have a good back up to go to. So I prefer to only do 1 rebuild at a time from this point forward. And 5 -10 hour swap is not that long. My 2 rebuild came in at 18 hours which I am happy about at 118.3 MB/s.

Point is swap/rebuild with how many you are comfortable with.

3 hours ago, Harro said:

I just did a 2 drive rebuild and all went good but was crossing my fingers all the way. I don't have a good back up to go to. So I prefer to only do 1 rebuild at a time from this point forward. And 5 -10 hour swap is not that long. My 2 rebuild came in at 18 hours which I am happy about at 118.3 MB/s.

Point is swap/rebuild with how many you are comfortable with.

I have true backups of critical info.  That is about 2% of my data... the vast majority of the rest is movies which I still have the original media for.  You can call that a backup, but 1. Just figuring out what exactly was lost on a specific drive would be an undertaking, and 2. We're talking about truly substantial time involved to re-rip them.  Backup.. yeah sorta but not really.  

I'm guessing at 10 hours.  My 3 TB rebuilds took about 7-8, but have the older 2 TB slower drives in the mix.  Pre-clears took about 9 hours to write 0s, so I'm hopeful the parity check won't be over 10.  However, as I sit here and think about it, my re-builds may take longer, because until the last one I'll still have at least one old drive in the mix.  12-13 hours maybe.  Don't know really.

Edited by TODDLT