Tybio

Thinking about the E-2186G....

52 posts in this topic Last Reply

4 hours ago, Tybio said:

One note, you could use the 8 SATA ports on the MB rather than the second LSI card, that would let you fit 2x8 and 1x4.  So you could make it work, it would just have no room for expansion and only one M.2 slot working (#1).  I can confirm all of this when I get mine up and running, but that's waiting on the processor.

Thats not a bad idea! So if I buy the Gigabyte board that have 10 Sata (I also need two sata for internal SSD drives)  and I would end up with a spare 4X slot?

According to the homepage the option is:

8x - Graphic (16x but should run okay at 8x?)

4x - Intel Pro 1000 VT Quad Port NIC - PCI Express 

8x - LSI SAS9201-16i PCI-Express 2.0 x8 SAS 6Gb/s HBA Card (Drives)

4x - Free? expansion if I need more Ethernet throughput and a 10GB ethernet card

BUT then the SATA controller need to be supported by unraid/ESXi (I plan to run ESXi, and then Unraid, and windows or linux machine)

just not sure how to be certain that the onboard controller is supported by "everything" 

gigabyte.jpg

BTW: Which ECC RAM modules are you buying? 

Edited by casperse

1 hour ago, casperse said:

Thats not a bad idea! So if I buy the Gigabyte board that have 10 Sata (I also need two sata for internal SSD drives)  and I would end up with a spare 4X slot?

Depends on a lot of factors, these boards CAN do more than the processor will let them.  For instance, if I use the U.2 port or the second M.2 slot on the Super Micro board then I lose the x4 slot.  If I use both of them then I lose M.1 and the x4 slot.  I even lose some SATA ports in that setup.

The key is to figure out what you need and then read the manual to see if you can get it all working given the way MBs will turn off some elements if others are used...and each board does it differently.

1 hour ago, casperse said:

BTW: Which ECC RAM modules are you buying? 

As I went with the SM board, I used their recommended ECC Ram, linked on the SM board detail from the first page :).