Unraid data missing after power outage

My apologies for the lack of information as it has been years since I have had to do anything with my unraid server and my knowledge has gone rusty.

I recently had a power outage and upon reboot the server did not come back online. When I browse to the file folder structure the only thing I see is the "flash" folder. Additionally I am unable to reach the web GUI.

As far as I can tell the bios is booting up fine and all drives are accounted for.

Any assistance on where to begin would be greatly appreciated as I am quite lost.

Edited by PatInTheHat
38 minutes ago, PatInTheHat said:

I recently had a power outage and upon reboot the server did not come back online. When I browse to the file folder structure the only thing I see is the "flash" folder. Additionally I am unable to reach the web GUI.

A power outage once caused my BIOS to forget that the unRAID USB drive was the boot device.  Make sure your unRAID flash drive is the first boot device in the BIOS.  You might also want to scan your flash drive in a Windows PC for any errors.  Remove it from your server and run a chkdsk on it manually or let Windows scan it automatically if it detects errors when inserted in the PC.

Start there and see if there is any change.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, PatInTheHat said:

It does appear to be going through the normal boot process and I do get the "tower login" prompt on the server itself once startup is complete. I will run the chkdsk and get back with the results.

OK, I wasn't sure what "the server did not come back online" meant.  So, you do see the unRAID menu when the server boots, it boots up to the login prompt on the console (can you log in?), but, you can't access the GUI?

• Like 1

Perhaps. I have long since forgotten whatever the password was, I seem to recall there was a default at one point in time but again my memory is hazy as it has been years since I had to troubleshoot an unraid problem or login via console. So console yes. GUI no.

Edited by PatInTheHat
55 minutes ago, PatInTheHat said:

When I browse to the file folder structure the only thing I see is the "flash" folder. Additionally I am unable to reach the web GUI.

This sounds like the server is booting but, the array is not starting so no shares show up when you browse to the server.  Is this what you mean, when you browse to the unRAID server from another machine, all you see is the Flash folder?

The default root password is no password unless you set one.

How are you trying to access the GUI and what happens when you try to open the GUI in your browser?  It should prompt you for the user (root) and password.  Do you see a user/password prompt when trying to access the GUI?

Since you can't get to the GUI, you'll need to get diagnostics from the console.  Log in to the console and type 'diagnostics'  This will save a zip file to your flash drive.  Attach that to your next post.

If you can't remember the root password, you can delete the config/passwd file on the flash drive which will reset it to no password.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, PatInTheHat said:

Negative. Same message.

It looks like your server is set to get a DHCP address.  For your sanity and future troubleshooting, it is recommended that you assign it a static IP address.

Even if you can't get into the GUI, you can give your server a static IP address by modifying network.cfg in the flash drive config folder and rebooting.

It should look something like this, with, of course, the appropriate IP address info for your network and a static IP address not already in use by another device on your network:

USE_DHCP="no"
IPADDR="192.168.0.200"
NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
GATEWAY="192.168.0.1" 

As @Squid mentioned, it appears your server was assigned a DHCP address of 192.168.0.224.  Is that what you entered into the browser to try and access the GUI?

Edited by Hoopster
6 hours ago, Squid said:

Unless you have a retro network, then there is something wrong with your ethernet port and/or switch

Speed: 100Mb/s

It probably is a retro switch. No need to upgrade the hardware is unraid is my bottleneck.

Are you using 192.168.0.224?

Yes this is what I attempted last night. I have no idea why but today I am able to access the GUI using this address. \\tower still shows the same error message.

I was able to start the array and everything is working again.

I appreciate the help everyone. I am not entirely sure what went wrong on my end but the array is back online and all data is intact.

Edited by PatInTheHat
1 hour ago, PatInTheHat said:

Yes this is what I attempted last night. I have no idea why but today I am able to access the GUI using this address. \\tower still shows the same error message.

I was able to start the array and everything is working again.

Are you trying to access the server from a Windows 10 machine?  If so, did it recently install any major updates?  Lots of problems lately with users not being able to access the server via Windows Explorer>Networks by server name due to SMBv1 being disabled and other issues with Windows 10 networking.  It's solvable but the solution is not always the same for everyone.

You might want to consider giving your server a static IP address and setting the array to auto start on reboot in case you have issues in the future.  Of course, you may have reasons not to do either if that is your preference.

• Upvote 1