120mm fan wall bracket for RPC-4224, RPC-4220, RPC-4116, RPC-4020

squirrellydw

Well, I was able to modify the fan board to fit into my "old style" less-than-6-month-old 4220 case. It took a couple of hours to make sure that the fit is exact and it is rather snug getting the board into the case. Drilling in the case was not a big deal, but getting the screws to be flush with the outside was. The original pre-driled screw holes are slightly recessed so that the screws do not stick out. It is nearly impossible to make the same type of divot yourself even with a Dremel.

Routing the cables to the SAS connector was also not the most intuitive as the large holes are towards the center of the fan board, but the SAS connectors are to the extreme side. All told, these fan boards were definitely designed with the "new" generation of the 4220 or 4020 cases, where ever those are, and the vast majority of people who already own the cases will have to go through some major hurdles to get these to work just wright.

That's too bad.  Sounds like almost as much work as I put into modding my original fanplate to work with the 120mm fans...

This exercise was the epitome of the enemy-of-good-is-better. I too created my own fan board which was shaped like the original, but housed 3 x 120 mm fans, and utilized the same screw layout. It was perfect. I have no idea what made me get the "official" fan board.  Live and learn. I do think that Norco should have notified the users that this board was not designed for the older cases, which it seems are the more prevalent amongst their customers.

Here's a picture of the stock one (not my picture):

Stock Norco 4220 fanplate

I posted pictures and some discussion as to how I modified it in my 'Pimp' post:

Modified Norco 4220 fanplate.

I forgot to take pictures of the fanplate before installing it in the server, but hopefully that's enough to give you an idea.  I have since sold this server.  If you have any questions I'll try to answer them by memory.

I'd sure like to by one of these cases with the 120mm bracket already installed.

I emailed Norcotek and asked if these units would be shipping with an installed 120mm Fan Wall Bracket and if so when?

They replied that the cases ship with an 80mm bracket  and that they only provide an optional 120mm fan wall bracket.

Based on this discussion I've emailed them asking when ordering if there's a way to identify the newer versions of these cases with the SAS connectors on the back plane located in the middle versus all the way to the side and/or a suggestion for a vendor who can ensure I get one of the later model cases.....

Kind of annoying.  Any comments/tips appreciated.

I just got mine a week ago and the SAS connectors are all on the right side (when looking from the back) so I guess there's still old stock floating out there.

It would be helpful to know the name of the vendor where you bought it and if possible any other details like the exact model and the order date etc.

I just got a reply from Mike Wang at Norcotek who said 'I think all our resellers are selling new version cases now'

I just got mine a week ago and the SAS connectors are all on the right side (when looking from the back) so I guess there's still old stock floating out there.

It would be helpful to know the name of the vendor where you bought it and if possible any other details like the exact model and the order date etc.

I just got a reply from Mike Wang at Norcotek who said 'I think all our resellers are selling new version cases now'

Just saw this---I should have included more detail.  I purchased mine from Newegg on 10/14 during a special for 289.99 with 9.99 shipping.  It's definitely old stock and has all SAS connectors on the right side.  It's the only disappointment I have about the purchase.

I think I am going to use the new one but not for a few months.  Around February I am going to buy a new CPU for my server, the Celeron I have now just isn't fast enough for AirVideo.  I hope it also helps with iPhoto and iTunes but I doubt it.  When I replace the CPU I am going to take everything out and fit in the new fan board, that way I don't have to worry about metal shavings or breaking anything.

Having the older style with the cables to the right might not be so bad after all.

I've got the newer style with the SAS connectors in the middle BUT the holes for the 120mm fanplate are about 1/3 way in. This put a big kink on my reverse breakout cables and It probably would have been worse with the SAS cables.

The bend of the cables also put them very close to the fan blades of the middle 120mm fan that it did touch the blades occasionally.

For now I've gone back to the 80mm fans as I think it is a tidier setup and the noise wasn't too bad. (my case sits in the pantry).

The 120mm fans were definitely quieter and if the case was in the theater room I would have left them.

The back 80mm fans are the killers which I will change soon so that I can keep something on in the back.

Josh

With the old style case, the location I installed the 120mm fan plate is butted up against the motherboard tray.  This gives a little more room between the wall and the backplanes.  I was able to route the cables across the top and bottom of the fan and the extra room meant a lot more comfortable a bend to get them plugged in.  So even though I have to have the cable going across the fan, it is done with little to no interference and none of the cable bends are bad.  The 120mm fans running at medium speed seem to provide the same cooling as the 80mm running at full speed with 10 hard drives under full load during a parity check.

Just saw this---I should have included more detail.  I purchased mine from Newegg on 10/14 during a special for 289.99 with 9.99 shipping.  It's definitely old stock and has all SAS connectors on the right side.  It's the only disappointment I have about the purchase.

Thanks.  For what it's worth Mike at Norco says orders placed through ipcdirect.net will guarantee a new model case.