Trouble with install.

tsawind

Your next hurdle is going to be speed. You currently are storing your virtual disk image files on the parity protected array, which limits you to the write speed of the slowest of either the specific disk or the parity disk. You are using a very slow parity disk, paired with a SSD as disk 1. This will severely limit the VM's disk speed. Using SSD's as array disks is not recommended, for several reasons.

I think you need to step back and watch some of the basic unraid videos by the same guy you watched the VM tutorials, to get an idea of how unraid works and what the ideal configuration for VM's actually is.

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies!!
After a nice long night of sleep, me and my girlfriend were able to play Monster Hunter: World.
I was able to get 25+-fps @ 3840x2160 and 7.1 surround on a G930 with the mic.
with the 1070ti, 4 cores, 8 threads @ 3.7ghz. 7gb ram (3600mhz) on a (50gb UnRaid allocated "c" drive)

She was able to get 30+fps @ 1920x1080 and 2.0 sound that had a horrible "clicking" on a cheap headset
with the 5770 Hawk (gen 2?), 4 cores, 8 threads, @ 3.7ghz, 7gb ram (3600mhz) on a (50gb UnRaid allocated "c" drive)

Operation success.  my 1070ti is ordered but on backorder,

we bought 2 500 gb SSD drives that I believe I need to put as "cache" drives and allocate each one to each workstation.  I don't want to use raid0 because I don't want to wreck the array, and I don't want to be able to lose both of our "workstation" files if one goes down.

We also bought 3 western digital external drives, (8tb red inside) that I am going to tear open and install one as a parity drive, and one as a shared drive. (one will be kept in cold storage as a backup, and I will buy one more down the road to keep as an offsite backup.)

Hopefully when the matching 1070ti arrives, I will be able to boot up into "bare metal" with dual GPU SLI and hopefully access the UnRaid array??
And also boot up into "workstation" mode and have 2 high end gaming stations each having there own 1070ti, quad core cpu, 500gb SSD, 7gb ram ect.

I having issues with the clicking on the sound, also some issues with usb slots.....
Please explain if anything is a bad thing to do, as this will take hours to build this array and installs of windows ect ect.

Also is there a certain "USB HUB" I should buy to help by just giving workstation #2 a couple USB 3.0 "HUBS" being a cord running from motherboard and splitting into 4 usb plugs.

Edited by tsawind

Something like this will cooperate well with UnRaid??
https://www.amazon.com/SmartDelux-Powered-USB-Hub-Charging/dp/B01N6W3RNA/ref=sr_1_10_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1543185045&sr=8-10-spons&keywords=usb+hub&psc=1

Just wondering if there is a better way to do that, like if one usb has enough bandwidth for all the devices any compatibility issues ect ect.

Edited by tsawind

So my hardware has USB Ports:

AMD Ryzen™ 2nd Generation/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ Ryzen™ 1st Generation/7th Generation A-Series/Athlon X4 Processors :
4 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s) (4 at back panel, blue)
AMD X470 chipset :
1 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 front panel connector port(s)
AMD X470 chipset :
6 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s) (4 at back panel, blue)
AMD X470 chipset :
5 x USB 2.0 port(s) (2 at back panel, , 3 at mid-board)
ASMedia® USB 3.1 Gen 2 controller :
2 x USB 3.1 port(s) (2 at back panel, black+red, Type-A + USB Type-CTM)

I notice USB 3.1 gen 2 port that should work excellent for a Gaming UnRaid VM running Windows 10 Pro In my head??
Seems to say "hardware wise" 10gbps.  The amount of lanes and what route this takes physically to the other hardware still eludes me a bit.  It seems to make sense to me to use this port to add a 8+ spot USB "HUB" for "Workstation 2".

Am I on the right track?

I assume you are posting photos because you are booting into GUI mode and using the browser on your Unraid server to get us "screenshots".

Just in case you don't realize it yet, the Unraid webUI can be easily accessed from other computers on your network. In fact, that is really the way it was designed to be used and accessing the webUI directly on the same computer Unraid is running on is a recent addition to Unraid.

Instead of posting photos, screen captures from the webUI taken from another PC would be a lot easier for you to make and post, and a lot more complete and easier for others to read.

• Like 1

I need to know about compatibility for usb slots atm.  I don't have enough usb slots for the second VM workstation.
The motherboard has a usb 3.1 gen2 type a, and a usb 3.1 gen2 type c.  I would like to use these to give the second VM a USB HUB with like 10 ports for all of it's usb devices.

Any compatibility issues I should be aware of or bandwidth issues ect, before I spend $40+ on a "USB HUB" I have had clicking coming out of the usb audio.

@tsawind quick inputs / pointers from here.

Yes, that USB hub would probably work :)

Something you will have to think about and make clear for yourself, is that Plug n' Play doesn't work out of the box.

To get Plug 'n Play, you'll have to stub and passthrough an entire USB controller to a VM. You can read up on that on the forums, and SpaceInvaderOne has videoes about this too.

Wrapping my head about this part took me some time. I'm too used to Plug n' Play xD

Edited by Squazz
12 hours ago, tsawind said:

I having issues with the clicking on the sound, also some issues with usb slots.....
Please explain if anything is a bad thing to do, as this will take hours to build this array and installs of windows ect ect.

Regarding this part. I had a similar problem with my USB DAC. I had to stub and pass-through an entire USB controller on the motherboard in other to stop this behavior. 

16 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Your next hurdle is going to be speed. You currently are storing your virtual disk image files on the parity protected array, which limits you to the write speed of the slowest of either the specific disk or the parity disk. You are using a very slow parity disk, paired with a SSD as disk 1. This will severely limit the VM's disk speed. Using SSD's as array disks is not recommended, for several reasons.

I think you need to step back and watch some of the basic unraid videos by the same guy you watched the VM tutorials, to get an idea of how unraid works and what the ideal configuration for VM's actually is.

To take this further / make this more concrete, I would greatly advice using the unassigned devices plugin and have the VMs on dedicated SSD's that are unassigned and not part of the array. Using the cache can also be a viable solution. My experience is that the performance is a little better when Windows gets it's own SSD :P

Edited by Squazz
1 hour ago, tsawind said:

System is running, having multiple issues, but running. working on stability.

I would like to close or delete this Topic, a lot of useless information here.

Actually not really other folks may have had same issues and since you've achieved some success from some of the posted advice it will help others with the same issues