Where is the IPMITOOL command located?

comet424

hi i trying to setup remote wake up lan and shut down from a user script

i installed the ipmi plugin  and that plugin works locally... the wake on lan plugin works from the broswer

but i trying to run    

ipmitool -I lan -H 192.168.0.9 chassis power soft

to shut down  from article i read.. but the ipmitool doesnt exist..  i googled different articles and different packages back to 2012 but nothing working

even  ipmiutil    command doesnt work

so i not sure what i doing wrong...  maybe i miss read something somewhere

and then i also wanna be able to power up a remote computer by the command line using this then too

ok so I got that installed..  getting closer  I tried the command  I hit enter for password since there is no password  needed as root is blank but I get this error

root@Tower:~#  ipmitool -I lan -H 192.168.0.8 chassis power soft
Password:
Error: Unable to establish LAN session
Error: Unable to establish IPMI v1.5 / RMCP session
root@Tower:~#

9 minutes ago, comet424 said:

is there something I need to enable on the remote computer.. I also installed nerdtools and the impitools on the remote computer

Your remote computer has a baseboard management controller (BMC) and you have IPMI configured in the BIOS correct?

What is the motherboard of the remote computer?

14 minutes ago, comet424 said:

its a MSI B450-I Gaming Plus AC  motherboard

That board does not support IPMI. 

A BMC is basically a computer within the computer.  The BMC is always on even when the computer is completely shut down.  IPMI communicates through a dedicated or shared IPMI NIC on the motherboard.

The MSI board has no idea what to do with the IPMI commands as it has no BMC to process them and does not support IPMI.

Just now, comet424 said:

I don't think I have any of that..  so im guessing I cant put the computer to sleep by command...  guess I have to just let it goto sleep on its own of like 10 min inactivity I guessing

You can configure the S3 sleep plugin on the remote computer to put the computer too sleep after a specified period of inactivity.

Your script can wake the remote computer, do whatever it needs to do and then put the computer to sleep when done.

5 minutes ago, comet424 said:

but maybe gaming board not good enough then 

Usually only server boards support IPMI.

This is the one I am currently using in my backup server.

Supermicro and ASRock Rack have a few Mini-ITX server boards that support IPMI.  Asus also has a couple, but, I am not sure if they have any IPMI boards in Mini-ITX form factor.

Archived