Motherboard Replacement ??? (Solved)!

gsd2012

Ok I had a CPU on my UnRAID fail (it was 10 years old) so got a newer motherboard that was pretty much the same but instead of four SATA's it had six SATA ports. The CPU is way better and more memory. I configured it all back the same with each drive going to its same SATA ports as before. I booted it up and it comes up with "Tower Login" like it is a new tower (expected some of this). So login in as root which didn't prompt for password so it must have got to a generic login since it does not know that NIC card, CPU, Memory, etc. The question I have is from the command prompt is there a way to into some setup mode to assign the drives back on the array and fix network setting and stuff? Or is there a better way?

Update found if you go in through the GUI login you can fix it all.....sweet!

Edited by gsd2012
Update

Yes, your description of what you did must be incomplete, because what happened and your speculations of why it happened are definitely wrong. And your attempt to plug things into the "same" ports (which is meaningless due to it being different hardware) is totally irrelevant, since Unraid keeps track of disk assignments by disk serial number.

Many of us have changed hardware including motherboard, CPU and it just booted with everything setup exactly as before.

Unraid doesn't care about your CPU, your motherboard, or anything else. It figures out your hardware and "installs" itself fresh from the archives on flash each time it boots. The config folder on flash contains all of the settings you have made in the webUI and as long as that is there as before then it should just work as before assuming there isn't some specific hardware incompatibility.

I think it's possible jonathanm is onto something. Maybe after it booted it got disconnected from your flash and so none of the settings from the config folder on your flash were available.

And if you are losing connection to your flash then nothing is going to work and nothing you configure is going to survive a reboot.

You should go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete diagnostics zip to your next post.

9 hours ago, jonathanm said:

This doesn't sound right. Did you alter the USB during the transition?

It really feels to me like the new board is not properly mounting the USB drive during boot, which can happen if the USB subsystem on the new board isn't working well with unraid. Are you plugged in to a USB 2 or USB 3 port?

Yeah not sure... did not mess with the USB at all and it was in same USB2 position as last board. I fixed it in BIOS to read the USB and it booted to the command line UnRAID first. That is when I noticed it did not look the same, so I rebooted and went into the second choice down which was the GUI version. When it came it up it seemed it was all back to normal. All the drives in the right places, IP address was right, and so on. The only issue was it dorked up Plex Docker some but easy fix. I double check everything before booting so I know the USB was in correctly during boot. Got me what happened but it seemed to work it self out.  I tried to delete this post but it would not let so just changed it to Solved.

5 hours ago, trurl said:

I think it's possible jonathanm is onto something. Maybe after it booted it got disconnected from your flash and so none of the settings from the config folder on your flash were available.

And if you are losing connection to your flash then nothing is going to work and nothing you configure is going to survive a reboot.

You should go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete diagnostics zip to your next post.

I was thinking that too but I know I double checked all the connections and USB before booting it up for the first time. After I realized there was something wrong I rebooted it into the GUI choice (second one down) to get a better look. At that point it was all working fine....honestly have no clue what could have happened.

5 hours ago, trurl said:

Yes, your description of what you did must be incomplete, because what happened and your speculations of why it happened are definitely wrong. And your attempt to plug things into the "same" ports (which is meaningless due to it being different hardware) is totally irrelevant, since Unraid keeps track of disk assignments by disk serial number.

Many of us have changed hardware including motherboard, CPU and it just booted with everything setup exactly as before.

Unraid doesn't care about your CPU, your motherboard, or anything else. It figures out your hardware and "installs" itself fresh from the archives on flash each time it boots. The config folder on flash contains all of the settings you have made in the webUI and as long as that is there as before then it should just work as before assuming there isn't some specific hardware incompatibility.

Right understand the same port part I just have everything labeled so made sure they were all back to the same way they were. Really do not know what caused it but after I ran it on the GUI bootup it all set back in the right settings. All was good at that point. Yeah that is what I was figuring and was a little surprised when it had settings as if it was a new system. I figured that changing it out would not matter what hardware it was as long as it was compatibility to the listed hardware on the site, which I did match it all. Again surprised me but glad it was up and working. I wanted a more streamline and faster UnRAID so all is good.