Sickbeard

robinsj

OK, so that sounds like either one does about the same thing.

Peter

Not really.

"nohup" will cause the program invoked as its argument to ignore the "hangup" signal generated when your terminal session is terminated.  Normally the HUP signal is sent to all child process to indicate to them they should terminate when the terminal session is terminated.

Setting a process in the background is just allowing it to run without waiting for it to finish before giving you back the prompt to allow you to run another command.  A process ruing in the background will still terminate if is not set to ignore HUP signals when you log out.

The "--daemon" argument probably does something slightly different.  It is usually coded to have the process to run in its own process group so it detaches itself from the parent process you are invoking it.  This will usually cause it to be "owned" by "init" as its parent process.

All similar, all slightly different.

Joe L.

And if you had the nohup without the &, you would not get the prompt back until whatever was running finishes up but it would keep running if the session terminated.

So nohup and & work nicely together but do different functionality and are not "required" to be used together but "usually" you would use & at the end of a nohup command to send it to the background.

Setting a process in the background is just allowing it to run without waiting for it to finish before giving you back the prompt to allow you to run another command.   A process ruing in the background will still terminate if is not set to ignore HUP signals when you log out.

Joe L.

I let this slide a bit and didn't post back. Thanks for the explanation Joe. I get what you are saying but I've started it on the command line, through Putty, a few times before as "python /mnt/cache/.SickBeard/SickBeard.py --quiet &" and it did not exit when I logged out. Odd because it sounds like it should have.

Peter

Setting a process in the background is just allowing it to run without waiting for it to finish before giving you back the prompt to allow you to run another command.   A process ruing in the background will still terminate if is not set to ignore HUP signals when you log out.

Joe L.

I let this slide a bit and didn't post back. Thanks for the explanation Joe. I get what you are saying but I've started it on the command line, through Putty, a few times before as "python /mnt/cache/.SickBeard/SickBeard.py --quiet &" and it did not exit when I logged out. Odd because it sounds like it should have.

Peter

any program can set itself to ignore the "HUP" (hangup) signal.

been using SB for a while now on my unraid server

today i did an update (clicking on the update now button at the top of the page)

i got an error but didn't realise and closed the browser

now cant get SB to start at all

tried copying over backed up SB folder on and even fresh new one but still no joy

any ideas guys :(

been using SB for a while now on my unraid server

today i did an update (clicking on the update now button at the top of the page)

i got an error but didn't realise and closed the browser

now cant get SB to start at all

tried copying over backed up SB folder on and even fresh new one but still no joy

any ideas guys :(

Check the settings file if it's starting on the same ip address and port you are looking for it.

Hi Guys,

Had this running for a while and now having some problems with it.

I have changed a few things such as IP address and GO script as well as adding a lot more data, but not sure if they are related.

I have been having trouble where the update function would fail halfway through and then the Sickbeard.py file would disappear so I have also downloaded and replaced the version I was using with the latest from the website, hoping to start again from there.

Had only got the basics setup, but I didnt mind doing that again just to get an up to date version working.

GO Script:

# Start SickBeard

nohup python /mnt/cache/.custom/sickbeard/SickBeard.py &

The error I get is:

root@tower:~# nohup python /mnt/cache/.custom/sickbeard/SickBeard.py &

[1] 9167

root@tower:~# nohup: ignoring input and appending output to `nohup.out'

That is when I have disabled it from the GO script and tried to start it manually via Telnet.

I searched the forums for the "nohup: ignoring input and appending output to `nohup.out'" error and someone had the same error with CouchPotato, but the only reply was "its not good anyway so why bother"  :)

Any help appreciated,

M

The error I get is:

[1] 9167

That is when I have disabled it from the GO script and tried to start it manually via Telnet.

I searched the forums for the "nohup: ignoring input and appending output to `nohup.out'" error and someone had the same error with CouchPotato, but the only reply was "its not good anyway so why bother"  :)

Any help appreciated,

M

Might want to run it without the nohup and without forking it into the background to see what the error is:

python /mnt/cache/.custom/sickbeard/SickBeard.py

You can also check in /mnt/cache/.custom/sickbeard/log and see if there are any obvious errors.

The error I get is:

[1] 9167

Any help appreciated,

M

Might want to run it without the nohup and without forking it into the background to see what the error is:

python /mnt/cache/.custom/sickbeard/SickBeard.py

You can also check in /mnt/cache/.custom/sickbeard/log and see if there are any obvious errors.

That's cool, didnt know I could do that.

Error is :

error: [Errno 98] Address already in use

18:27:07 ERROR::MAIN :: Unable to start web server, is something else running on                          port 8081?

18:27:07 ERROR::MAIN :: Launching browser and exiting

Which is correct, something else is on that port, but I have set up my autoProcessTV.cfg as the following:

[sickBeard]

host=localhost

port=8082

username=

password=

web_root=

Is there somewhere else I need to set this?

EDIT: Got it working on 8081 default port and going to just update through web app.

• 3 weeks later...

Have the issues with the last update been resolved?  How have you guys been updating?  I have been just clicking the update link on the web interface but I am guessing the updates wont stick after. A reboot. What's the best practice to update?

The updates stick if you're not reinstalling a Sickbeard .tgz everytime you reboot. I have Sickbeard installed in /mnt/cache/.custom/apps/sickbeard and I update all the time through the web interface and it always sticks.

I just have the dependencies (python, etc.) in my /boot/extra which allow sickbeard to run properly.

Archived