WOL using Linksys WRT310N

grimm2000

Most modern routers should support this. I would suspect it is your method for waking the server.

For a linux client you can install "wakeonlan" and then run in a terminal with the MAC address of the server as the argument.

For windows I think there is a "wol.exe" (not too sure but I know it exists)

Do you see activity on the router when the command is run?

Are you sure the server is in an S3 suspended state?

What MB are you using?

I initially tried it on my Unraid server, but it was not working.  So I thought it is probably my configuration so since I am a newb to linux, I tried it on my Windows 7 system and same issue.   I could not wake up my system, so I starting Googling like I usually do and I came across alot of posts stating the my router does not support WOL.  So I just wanted to confirm this with the community to see if anyone else with this router is using WOL.  I just got fed up with spinning my wheels on this issue since I spent a few days getting it to work.

Are you sure the server is in an S3 suspended state?

I know I put the system in S3 suspend state when I tested it. Over and over and over.....

I also double checked my bios setting to make sure WOL was activated..

I created shortcut via the command below:

rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0

What MB are you using?

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H

Do you see activity on the router when the command is run?

No I did not..

First rule of home routers... always check and only buy one that you can load third party (i.e. Tomato) firmware on.

* Linksys WRT54G v1-v4, WRT54GS v1-v4, WRT54GL v1.x, WRTSL54GS (no USB support)

* Buffalo WHR-G54S, WHR-HP-G54, WZR-G54, WBR2-G54

* Asus WL500G Premium (no USB support)

* Untested but apparently works without changes: SparkLAN WX-6615GT

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomatofaq#what_will_this_run_on

Tomato has more features... such as cumulative transfer stats by month.  QOS features are better too.  However, I switched to Tomato from DDWRT a couple of years ago when Tomato had features I needed that DDWRT lacked, and DDWRT may have improved since then.

The 310N has less memory that the full DDWRT needs, but apparently some of the smaller versions of DDWRT can be loaded on a 310N, but you have to follow a special nonstandard installation procedure and it can overheat as a result.

Which router would you recommend that has WOL capability, has GB connection, and has the N Standard?

None.  Separate your router from your wireless.  Get a good router that routes.  Get a good wireless access-point for wireless.

Then if you want some new wireless scheme, you can do it w/o having to also replace your router.... and vice versa.  Plus if the router dies, it is easy to drop-in a replacement temporarily, even a crappy one, to maintain connectivity w/o disruption to wireless.... and vice versa.

A gigabit port on the WAN side of a router won't help if the router itself can't handle that bandwidth.

I have not done a side-by-side compare of standard router firmware with something like DDWRT/Tomato but i will hazard and educated guess that you will lose none of the functionality.  And you end up gaining quite a bit.

I switched my linksys/cisco to DDWRT so that i could get OpenVPN directly on the router. It has been working great since the switch and would not go back to using stock firmware.

Well thank you for this..  It has been very educational regarding WOL and since researching know much more about it.  It looks like I might switch my router either to a different Linksys Cisco Router that has more memory built in or to a Buffalo Router that actually uses DD-WRT as its default bios.  They are much cheaper then when I initally purchased my router.

I have one last question, seeing that I finally have a solution to this issue.  It seems you do port forwarding on the router to port 7 or 9 to the machine for final set up.  What if I have multiple servers that I want to use WOL.   Do I do a port forward to each server?

sorry to get into this late but it looks like  your router is supported by dd-wrt i've used this for years just because of there super simple wol feature

when you flash your router with this firmware and get it setup and you get all the systems you want to wol with go to administration tab and then WOL tab and you can get it going from there just click on the ones you want to be able to do WOL with and dd-wrt will add them automatically

i didn't read the whole thread just your last post bout wanting to do multi systems

if you set up a no-ip.org name and add it into your dd-wrt you can access your dd-wrt where you have a browser and internet connection you can get into it using youripaddy.no-ip.org:8080 i use this a lot also and might come in handy

i would definitely invest the time into getting your router dd-wrt installed

Since we're on the subject: I'm very satisfied with my Airport Extreme Simultaneous Dual-Band as a router, but it lacks WOL support and will not forward to my local broadcast address (192.168.1.255).

I could replace it with a decent, but expensive, Netgear WNR3500L (with Tomato firmware), or buy the cheapest router I can find that supports Tomato and have a specific port on the Airport rerouted to the web interface of Tomato.

Any suggestions on the "cheapest" Tomato-ready router?

Since we're on the subject: I'm very satisfied with my Airport Extreme Simultaneous Dual-Band as a router, but it lacks WOL support and will not forward to my local broadcast address (192.168.1.255).

I could replace it with a decent, but expensive, Netgear WNR3500L (with Tomato firmware), or buy the cheapest router I can find that supports Tomato and have a specific port on the Airport rerouted to the web interface of Tomato.

Any suggestions on the "cheapest" Tomato-ready router?

Tomato and DDWRT both give lists of routers that are supported.  I suggest going to there sites to see what you can find.  I run a Cisco WRT320N and it has been great with DDWRT, tomato does not support this router...

I think DDWRT has a wide range of supported devices so for sure check them out.

DDWRT has different flavors of differing size and features... but you can brick a router if you don't follow install instructions -- particularly on one of the "odd" ones with special instructions.

That does let you install DDWRT on more routers, but the risk and complexity is higher.

I've had by current router for 9 years, so even if it costs $80, that's only $8/year.

I got a spare for $5 at the local Habitat store (although it did not have a power brick).

The gold standard is Linksys WRT54GL... $60 and specifically designed for 3rd party Linux firmware. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190

DDWRT has different flavors of differing size and features... but you can brick a router if you don't follow install instructions -- particularly on one of the "odd" ones with special instructions.

That does let you install DDWRT on more routers, but the risk and complexity is higher.

I've had by current router for 9 years, so even if it costs $80, that's only $8/year.

I got a spare for $5 at the local Habitat store (although it did not have a power brick).

The gold standard is Linksys WRT54GL... $60 and specifically designed for 3rd party Linux firmware. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190

Thanks! My Airport Extreme only has 3 GBit ports, but it's exactly as much as I need. Adding a router behind it would claim a port that's already taken. Would it be possible to just have the "new" router connect wirelessly to the existing network and use it solely as a WOL device?

I wish some manufacturer came up with such a device... a very small package connecting either through wireless or ethernet, with the sole purpose of waking up devices on a local network, with a nice, uncluttered web interface and possibly even a iPhone app. I'd buy it if it's < 20,00 EUR. (couldn't be that hard...)

Well this is turning into a pain in the a**.  I actually broke down and got a WRT54GL and updated the firmware to Tomato so I can finally get this WOL working.  One thing I forgot to mention is that I currently have AT&T Uverse, so I was running my ATT Uverse as a gateway and linking it to my WRT310N.  That was fun to initially hookup, hint of sarcasm...  Anyway, I can't seem to get this new router to work with this gateway.  I will post once I get this resolved.  If the WRT310N can link to it, I am positive this WRT54GL with Tomato can..

Archived