Usable memory is less than installed

I have 32GB (4x8GB) of UDIMM ECC DDR3 memory installed on my server. On my dashboard under Memory Size it reports total usable as 24.068 GB

I have read other threads on this forum about people with the same issue but usually the issue is a bad stick. Here is what I've determined so far (trying to rule out other threads)

• I can see every stick within unraid (on System Profiler in Memory Devices)
  • Memory Summary shows a Maximum Capacity of 32 GB
  • My motherboard supports 32GB memory
  • I haven't found anything saying my cpu, an FX-8350, can't support 32GB memory
  • All memory is accessible from BIOS
  • All memory is accessible and passes all tests with memtest
  • All sticks are the same brand/model, shouldn't be an issue with pairing for dual-channel mode
  • I have used other sticks (not part of this 4x8GB kit) in the past with unraid, up to 20GB with random pairings, and never had an issue
  • Removing any stick puts my total usable and installed at ~24GB
  • It's not being consumed for video memory because I have a dedicated GeForce 210 installed

I have attached a diagnostics zip file for your convenience.

Does anyone have any idea why I can't use all my memory?

Thanks

foxxnas-diagnostics-20190401-1417.zip

~# dmidecode -t 17
# dmidecode 3.1
Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
SMBIOS 2.7 present.

Handle 0x002E, DMI type 17, 34 bytes
Memory Device
        Array Handle: 0x002C
        Error Information Handle: Not Provided
        Total Width: 72 bits
        Data Width: 64 bits
        Size: 8192 MB
        Form Factor: DIMM
        Set: None
        Locator: Node0_Dimm0
        Bank Locator: Node0_Bank0
        Type: DDR3
        Type Detail: Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered)
        Speed: 800 MT/s
        Manufacturer: Micron
        Serial Number: 0E93CBB4
        Asset Tag: Dimm0_AssetTag
        Part Number: 18KSF1G72AZ-1
        Configured Clock Speed: 800 MT/s

Handle 0x0030, DMI type 17, 34 bytes
Memory Device
        Locator: Node0_Dimm1
        Serial Number: 0E93CBB3
        Asset Tag: Dimm1_AssetTag

Handle 0x0032, DMI type 17, 34 bytes
Memory Device
        Locator: Node0_Dimm2
        Serial Number: 0E93CBB6
        Asset Tag: Dimm2_AssetTag

Handle 0x0034, DMI type 17, 34 bytes
Memory Device
        Locator: Node0_Dimm3
        Serial Number: 0E93CD82
        Asset Tag: Dimm3_AssetTag

@Benson I have no such options in BIOS. I have attached pics of the memory-related features in my BIOS. Everything is set on auto or factory default. All memory is recognized.

The only other piece of information I can think of is that my motherboard is a consumer board (GA-990FXA-UD3) and not advertised to work with ECC memory. However it's been confirmed by multiple forums posts I've found (and my own experience) that ECC does indeed work with it -- due to the board and cpu having a workstation heritages IE they were workstation base products that were "downgraded" to be consumer products. But I don't see how this would have any effect on my current issue since everything reports normally on BIOS and in unraid *except* that unraid won't use all 4 sticks for some reason...

IMG_20190402_172535.jpg

IMG_20190402_172611.jpg

Edited by FoxxMD

If you can't found those setting in BIOS, pls forget it. If goggling you will got similar problem much and no matter old / new system, there also many different answer / solution.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/24676509-post4.html

DRAM Training (A stress test that occurs during POST that disables certain RAM channels if that channel is detected to be problematic) will cause less memory to be 'detected' (the RAM sticks will still show in utilities like cpu-z)
The cause of the channels being problematic could be bad RAM settings or bad RAM itself. My MSI X99A XPOWER AC motherboard was very keen on disabling RAM channels, depending on the RAM settings (too aggressive overclock/timings) or memory controller (VCCSA or system agent). It's possible my RAMPAGE V was more lax in disabling RAM channels, but I could get it to happen still by being too aggressive. Try disabling your overclock, disabling XMP, using standard speeds, and see if the RAM comes back. Increase VCCSA if you deem necessary too. I don't know what CPU you have, but haswell-E system agent defaults to 0.85v, and the default 0.85v is enough for me to run 3000MHz DDR4 quad channel. 

So, if you confirm all stick and RAM slot work, then I would suggest you try underclock the memory from 1600Mhz to 1333Mhz and try.

• Upvote 1

Quick update...

I powered down the machine, removed one stick, and powered it on, checking BIOS each time and observing usable memory in unraid after restart. Rinse and repeat for each slot...

Usable would drop to 16GB until I got to slot 4 at which point usable was reporting 24GB (so sticks in slots 1-3). I put a spare stick in slot 4 and got the same result so I thought it was bad slot (even though BIOS still reports fine and preliminary memtest showed no issues)...

At this point I had given up so I put all sticks back in the machine, but sticks from slots 3 and 4 swapped -- fully expecting to see 24GB after boot but just going to keep all sticks in the machine so I don't misplace the last stick -- and unraid reported 32GB usable 🤪

Soooo, I have no idea what fixed it. Maybe the slot 4 stick just needed to be reseated? Or maybe the slot truly is going bad and it happened to work on this boot. I haven't restarted since then so I'm not getting my hopes this will stay fixed. But ive got full memory...for now.

Edited by FoxxMD
2 hours ago, FoxxMD said:

fully expecting to see 24GB after boot but just going to keep all sticks in the machine so I don't misplace the last stick -- and unraid reported 32GB usable 🤪

BIOS detect 24G but Unarid show 32G 😵

2 hours ago, FoxxMD said:

Soooo, I have no idea what fixed it. Maybe the slot 4 stick just needed to be reseated? Or maybe the slot truly is going bad and it happened to work on this boot. I haven't restarted since then so I'm not getting my hopes this will stay fixed. But ive got full memory...for now.

Stable importance then how many memory useable, I would forget slot 4 if it cause problem.

• 3 years later...