Unassigned Discs - why?? :-(

troymeredith

Disc issues - again!! My HDDs range from approx 4 to 18 months old and two of them are now unassigned on my microserver.

The last time this happened, the issue was power-related, and I checked the cabling (disconnected then reconnected) until I got a positive result.

I've done the same thing now, but to no avail.

Is more checking of cables required, am I impatient by posting this, or is there something wrong with my discs?

I have attached a diag in the hope that someone can immediately spot the problem and offer some guidance.

TIA

tower-diagnostics-20190414-0722.zip

Not really very important, but your syslog is filling with these:

Apr 14 07:06:03 Tower emhttpd: error: get_key_info, 584: Invalid argument (22): get_message: /boot/config/._Basic.key (-3)

Apple ecosystems seem to drop these annoying ._ files on everything they touch. You should delete that file from your flash after you get everything else fixed.

Parity and parity2 are NOT interchangeable.

Post a screenshot of Main - Array Devices.

If you are absolutely sure about those serials do a new config, re-assign all disks and check parity is already valid, then run a parity check, if you're not sure also do a new config but assign all disks as data disks, there should be one unmountable disk, that will be parity.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Not really very important, but your syslog is filling with these:

Apr 14 07:06:03 Tower emhttpd: error: get_key_info, 584: Invalid argument (22): get_message: /boot/config/._Basic.key (-3)

Apple ecosystems seem to drop these annoying ._ files on everything they touch. You should delete that file from your flash after you get everything else fixed.

Parity and parity2 are NOT interchangeable.

Post a screenshot of Main - Array Devices.

Screenshot 2019-04-14 at 14.40.10.png

1 hour ago, troymeredith said:

Additional question - any way to remove the "Parity 2" entry if it's not needed?

When the array is stopped and it is ready to allow disk assignments as in your screenshot, then it will allow you to assign parity2. If nothing is assigned to parity2 then when the array is started parity2 doesn't appear.

Archived