HP Introduces Microserver - Unraid support this HW ?

Ropo

By the way there is also an IPMI card for this server. The HP ProLiant MicroServer Remote Access Card (615095-B21) cost about $80-$90 online. It occupies the PCI 1x Slot when installed but it's a nice option for remote management.

Wow, that's just amazing!  That is one of the few things I didn't like about it, and I just assumed I would have to do without.  It's actually cheaper buying from HP than from Newegg, but $80 is a little steep.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way there is also an IPMI card for this server. The HP ProLiant MicroServer Remote Access Card (615095-B21) cost about $80-$90 online. It occupies the PCI 1x Slot when installed but it's a nice option for remote management.

Wow, that's just amazing!  That is one of the few things I didn't like about it, and I just assumed I would have to do without.  It's actually cheaper buying from HP than from Newegg, but $80 is a little steep.

I mentioned the IPMI card in my "likes" in my build post, but I can't honestly see what I'd use it for. Once the server is set up, why would I ever need IPMI?

I mentioned the IPMI card in my "likes" in my build post, but I can't honestly see what I'd use it for. Once the server is set up, why would I ever need IPMI?

I can't be bothered to read your build post.  :P  I must have just not read close enough - I was being dazzled by the photography.

I need IPMI because this box lives at my parents' house.  My technologically challenged parents' house.  My "Where is the power button again?" technologically challenged parents' house.  IPMI would remove them from everything except physically changing parts.

I need IPMI because this box lives at my parents' house.  My technologically challenged parents' house.  My "Where is the power button again?" technologically challenged parents' house.  IPMI would remove them from everything except physically changing parts.

Aha! Now you just need the IPMI board to install itself!

The internal SATA connector for the optical drive and the eSATA port both connect to a PATA controller. I thought by using a PCI card, instead of the hacked BIOS, one could have a better connection for a fifth internal hard drive as well as an eSATA port that supports port multipliers. The onboard eSATA apparently does not support that.

AIUI, it is not connected to an IDE controller, it's a SATA controller in IDE emulation mode. The hacked BIOS just enables you to switch off this "SATA combined mode" and enable the full SATA speed.

It's true about the eSATA port not supporting port multipliers. I did consider whether I want to add external storage, and decided for now, I'd rather not. I have my other build as the machine with many, maaaaany drives!  ;D

Does this mean I can EITHER run a fifth HDD using the optical drive connector OR use the external eSATA but not both?

The internal SATA connector for the optical drive and the eSATA port both connect to a PATA controller. I thought by using a PCI card, instead of the hacked BIOS, one could have a better connection for a fifth internal hard drive as well as an eSATA port that supports port multipliers. The onboard eSATA apparently does not support that.

AIUI, it is not connected to an IDE controller, it's a SATA controller in IDE emulation mode. The hacked BIOS just enables you to switch off this "SATA combined mode" and enable the full SATA speed.

It's true about the eSATA port not supporting port multipliers. I did consider whether I want to add external storage, and decided for now, I'd rather not. I have my other build as the machine with many, maaaaany drives!  ;D

Does this mean I can EITHER run a fifth HDD using the optical drive connector OR use the external eSATA but not both?

Both. Click the second part of my signature.

So is it worth it to buy the HP Microserver or to just build your own box with say the Supermicro Atom D525 Board The board is expensive sure, but it seems like a reasonable match for the HP. The Supermicro has the IPMI built-in where it's an option on the HP but otherwise they are similar. ECC RAM support on both, performance between the two should be about the same, the power consumption should be about the same. What are the Pros and Cons for each?

If you build your own you get to choose whatever parts you like. - Advantage DIY

The HP Microserver is pretty quiet - Advantage HP (maybe)

Can you guys think of any other Pros and Cons for one or the other?

So is it worth it to buy the HP Microserver or to just build your own box with say the Supermicro Atom D525 Board The board is expensive sure, but it seems like a reasonable match for the HP. The Supermicro has the IPMI built-in where it's an option on the HP but otherwise they are similar. ECC RAM support on both, performance between the two should be about the same, the power consumption should be about the same. What are the Pros and Cons for each?

If you build your own you get to choose whatever parts you like. - Advantage DIY

The HP Microserver is pretty quiet - Advantage HP (maybe)

Can you guys think of any other Pros and Cons for one or the other?

As a person that builds servers for others (mostly on the high end with high drive density) I haver to say that I really like this little HP server.

I am contemplating building/getting a server for my parents and my soon to be sisters husband and this HP is high on the list.  It can hold 5 drives fairly easily and is in a very small form factor... what can I say, I like it.

I built this for my parents' house and I was jealous of just how well rounded it is.  It's quiet, well ventilated, well designed, overpowered for unRAID, and compact.  If I didn't need more than 8 TB, I would build one for myself.  It's just that good.

• 2 weeks later...

I might have missed the answer, but can anyone confirm if this wakes to a magic packet?

Some incompatiility with Unraid (V4.x & V5.x) - Wake On Lan do not work :(

No full support  for Broadcom BCM5723 in Ubuntu/Slackware...

Apart from this, it looks ideal as a Windows media server back-end.

Many Thanks, Judy

FWIW, I got my Microserver in today. Gotta figure what RAM to get (need to bump up from stock 1GB to 2GB), as well as another flash drive, one of those icy-dock trayless brackets for the ODD, and a SATA cable. Since those need to be ordered, this will likely be a next-weekend job.

Couldn't find an actual definitive on this within the thread: so is the consensus to use the hacked Russian BIOS or the most current HP-provided BIOS?

Doesn't sound like anyone confirmed whether the HP-provided BIOS did in fact include the hacked feature.

Couldn't find an actual definitive on this within the thread: so is the consensus to use the hacked Russian BIOS or the most current HP-provided BIOS?

Doesn't sound like anyone confirmed whether the HP-provided BIOS did in fact include the hacked feature.

No it doesn't & the hacked Russian BIOS runs fine.