First unraid build

cdika17

Looking to mainly add storage to my HTPC, people recommended NAS and further recommended unraid, so here I am.

How important is it that I have hot swappable bays?

COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 RC-590-KKN1-GP Black SECC / ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Item #: N82E16811119152

Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (5 for now - 2 from newegg, 1 from directcanada and 2 from NCIX as mentioned to buy from different places, not all at once)

Item #: N82E16822136514

ASUS M4A785-M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Item #: N82E16813131595

COOLER MASTER STB-3T4-E3-GP 4-in-3 Device Module Hardisk Cage

Item #: N82E16817993002

or

ICY DOCK MB454SPF-B Mulit-Bay Backplane Module

Item #: N82E16817994027

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 CMPSU-430CX 430W ATX12V Active PFC Power Supply

Item #: N82E16817139017

Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2/2GR

Item #: N82E16820134797

AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7GHz Socket AM3 45W Single-Core Processor SDX140HBGQBOX

Item #: N82E16819103698

3ware CBL-SFF8087OCF-05M 1 unit of 0.5m Multi-lane Internal (SFF-8087) Serial ATA breakout cable, forward (2)

Item #: N82E16816116097

SanDisk Cruzer Micro 2GB Flash Drive (USB2.0 Portable) Model SDCZ6-2048-A11

Item #: N82E16820171374

Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 Marvell 6480 8 Channel SAS/SATA RAID PCI-E Card

from NCIX.com

Anything else i need, extra fans, cables? Unraid license of course. Which should i go with for now?

With 5 drives, how should i delegate the duties? Do i need some smaller drives for parity and cache?

Thanks

Looks good to me.  Remember that you'll need a jumper for each of your WD EARS drives (install it on pins 7-8 BEFORE installing the drive in the unRAID server or doing anything else with it).

How swap bays are a matter of personal preference.  Personally, I won't build any more servers without them (unless someone specifically requests that I do so).  While they can be expensive, I feel they are definitely worth the cost.  I would recommend buying one now, then buying more later as you need more drive bays.

You will need to assign one of your 2 TB WD EARS drives as a parity drive.  A cache drive is optional, and again, comes down to personal preference.  Expect writes speeds of 25 - 30 mb/s without a cache drive, and 50 - 70 mb/s with a cache drive.  If you are content with the slower speeds, then you don't need a cache drive.  If you do decide you want a cache drive, you can use any old drive you like (small, slow...it doesn't matter).  However, if you use a 2 TB drive as a cache drive it can then double as a warm spare (which you can read more about here.

I don't think you'll need any extra fans.

I always recommend the Pro license, unless you really don't see yourself going past 6 drives.  Considering that you are starting with 5 drives, it seems likely to me that you will.

Looks good to me.  Remember that you'll need a jumper for each of your WD EARS drives (install it on pins 7-8 BEFORE installing the drive in the unRAID server or doing anything else with it).

How swap bays are a matter of personal preference.  Personally, I won't build any more servers without them (unless someone specifically requests that I do so).  While they can be expensive, I feel they are definitely worth the cost.  I would recommend buying one now, then buying more later as you need more drive bays.

You will need to assign one of your 2 TB WD EARS drives as a parity drive.  A cache drive is optional, and again, comes down to personal preference.  Expect writes speeds of 25 - 30 mb/s without a cache drive, and 50 - 70 mb/s with a cache drive.  If you are content with the slower speeds, then you don't need a cache drive.  If you do decide you want a cache drive, you can use any old drive you like (small, slow...it doesn't matter).  However, if you use a 2 TB drive as a cache drive it can then double as a warm spare (which you can read more about here.

I don't think you'll need any extra fans.

I always recommend the Pro license, unless you really don't see yourself going past 6 drives.  Considering that you are starting with 5 drives, it seems likely to me that you will.

I was hoping it would be you that would respond to my thread!

I am guessing the jumpers are included with the drives?

FWIW, I have used both the 4 in 3 things and hot swap bays, I really like the hot swap bays... makes life just so much easier...

as for pro vs plus, its cheaper to just go pro from the start, vs upgrading later... so I just went pro, even though I don't expect to exceed 6 drives anytime soon...

for cases, have you considered the NORCO's? they are a bit pricey, but they come with everything you need for 20 hot swap drives (or there is the model 4116 that I got, handles 16 drives and costs more... I am not sure what I was thinking when I bought that? :-[)... bit noisy though... so just dump it in a basement/crawlspace/somewhere off by itself so it can make all the noise it wants...

if you due have the server located in an out of the way location, you might want to consider either a MB with IPMI or a separate IP KVM switch thingy... I know a lot of experts disagree, but I still think IPMI is the coolest thing ever...

FWIW, I have used both the 4 in 3 things and hot swap bays, I really like the hot swap bays... makes life just so much easier...

as for pro vs plus, its cheaper to just go pro from the start, vs upgrading later... so I just went pro, even though I don't expect to exceed 6 drives anytime soon...

for cases, have you considered the NORCO's? they are a bit pricey, but they come with everything you need for 20 hot swap drives (or there is the model 4116 that I got, handles 16 drives and costs more... I am not sure what I was thinking when I bought that? :-[)... bit noisy though... so just dump it in a basement/crawlspace/somewhere off by itself so it can make all the noise it wants...

if you due have the server located in an out of the way location, you might want to consider either a MB with IPMI or a separate IP KVM switch thingy... I know a lot of experts disagree, but I still think IPMI is the coolest thing ever...

Dont need rack mount, just going in storage room, cheaper is better

Hot swap bays is a very personal decision. I have four Cooler Master's and four Icy Docks. The Icy Docks are noisier and do not cool as well. I switched from the Icy Docks to the Cooler Master's this summer to see how much cooler they would be. (about 6-8 deg. C, I already had the Cooler Master's). If you are only going to use 2T. drives then I think a hot swap bay is not really needed. If you plan to use lots of different sizes and plan to upgrade those drives over time, then a hot swap bay may be worth it.

Since the 590 comes with a 4 in 3 (not as good as their aftermarket 4 in 3), you could buy a single Icy Dock and try running both for awhile to see if the cost is justified. If I was starting over right now I would go for the Norco because my server sits in a corner of my basement and I don't care about noise.

If you're going to have three icy docks, it will be over $300 just for those. Add the cost of the CM case, and it's more than the Norco. If you're going to fully populate with icy docks, then consider the Norco up front.

I think i wont go past 12 hardrives, this is strickly dvd/bluray rip storage so i don't think i'll need to have hot swappable drives, i am out of room and need storage now and as cheap as i can get for now, with still being to upgrade later, how does this updated list look for now:

COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 RC-590-KKN1-GP Black SECC / ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

4 for now - Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

1 - COOLER MASTER STB-3T4-E3-GP 4-in-3 Device Module Hardisk Cage

Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2/2GR

AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7GHz Socket AM3 45W Single-Core Processor SDX140HBGQBOX

Pro unraid license

I wouldn't need these right now if I am only going with 4 drives, right?

3ware CBL-SFF8087OCF-05M 1 unit of 0.5m Multi-lane Internal (SFF-8087) Serial ATA breakout cable, forward

I also have some of these sitting around, can they be used if i were to use a diff mobo and pro? Or not worth it, see if i can sell them?

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ

Would i need anything else besides the norco case?

The Norco comes built in with twenty drive bays ready to go. I believe it uses SAS backplanes, so you'd need straight SAS cables, rather than forward breakout cables. That's a nice, added bonus for cable management.

To cut down on noise, I'd get the 120mm fan plate, and three quiet fans.

I think i wont go past 12 hardrives, this is strickly dvd/bluray rip storage so i don't think i'll need to have hot swappable drives, i am out of room and need storage now and as cheap as i can get for now, with still being to upgrade later, how does this updated list look for now:

4 for now - Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

1 - COOLER MASTER STB-3T4-E3-GP 4-in-3 Device Module Hardisk Cage

Pro unraid license

That looks fine. I'd recommend getting more of the CM drive cages, if you're skipping the hot swap idea. The aftermarket cages are much easier to work on than the one that comes with the case.

I wouldn't need these right now if I am only going with 4 drives, right?

3ware CBL-SFF8087OCF-05M 1 unit of 0.5m Multi-lane Internal (SFF-8087) Serial ATA breakout cable, forward

That's correct. Make sure you have enough regular SATA cables for your build.

I also have some of these sitting around, can they be used if i were to use a diff mobo and pro? Or not worth it, see if i can sell them?

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ

If you have memory lying around, I'd go ahead and buy a DDR3 motherboard. The Sempron is an AM3 part, so it can go in either type, but it has a built in memory controller that only comes into play on an AM3 board, which all come with DDR3. The one drawback here is that I haven't seen a lot of this type of board tested for unRAID compatibility. 

You could get the Biostar TA785G3HD

The F3-10666CL9D-2GBNQ is supported by the Biostar.

Is this board compatible with unraid?

Anything else i would need?

oh, I agree, just make sure what you think is cheaper really is cheaper...

I have both an older CM stacker (for my desktop, has like a billion slots/or whatever in the front) its a really great case, very well made... kind of big (for a desktop) but its very well thought out and easy to work with... (was my old server case before I went rack mount... and I just really like the case, so when desktop needed refreshing...)

Norco - pretty well thought out case, has all the drive bays ready to go..., drive carriers seem kind of cheap/flimsy, but they are adequate for the job... may not cool the drives quite as good as the CM, but cools good enough... probably much cheaper over all than the CM...

HOT Swap bays: as far as unraid goes, I doubt you can actually hot swap anything... but the real joy about these is when it comes time to add/remove/change a drive, you don't need to take anything apart... just yank/install... super simple, super quick...

oh, I agree, just make sure what you think is cheaper really is cheaper...

I have both an older CM stacker (for my desktop, has like a billion slots/or whatever in the front) its a really great case, very well made... kind of big (for a desktop) but its very well thought out and easy to work with... (was my old server case before I went rack mount... and I just really like the case, so when desktop needed refreshing...)

Norco - pretty well thought out case, has all the drive bays ready to go..., drive carriers seem kind of cheap/flimsy, but they are adequate for the job... may not cool the drives quite as good as the CM, but cools good enough... probably much cheaper over all than the CM...

HOT Swap bays: as far as unraid goes, I doubt you can actually hot swap anything... but the real joy about these is when it comes time to add/remove/change a drive, you don't need to take anything apart... just yank/install... super simple, super quick...

BUt if i am not going with hot swap, the 590 case and COOLER MASTER STB-3T4-E3-GP, is a whole lot cheaper than the norco case. If i were to go with hot swap, then yah norco all the way.

These the jumpers i need for the EARS?

1010090254.jpg

Just to clarify ... unRAID does not support hot swapping of drives.  If you want to add or remove a drive you have to stop the array and power down the server.  The only reason to use hot swap bays is for increased capacity (5-in-3 vs 4-in-3) and ease of installation/removal.  The downside is that hot swap bays are normally not as efficient when it comes to cooling.  It only makes logical sense.  If you have 5 drives crammed into 3 5.25" bays the airflow is probably not going to be as good as 4 drives in the same footprint.

These the jumpers i need for the EARS?

1010090254.jpg

You need 2.54 mm pitch jumper pins for WD HDDs.  I have seen two different pitch sizes (2.00 and 2.54) being sold.  They look identical but just have different pitch.  The jumpers in the photo look just like the jumpers on my EARS drives but obviously I cannot tell if those are the correct pitch.

I would just like to point out that they are 0.1" shunts/jumpers... not 2.54mm

they have been 0.1" shunts/jumpers forever... then all of a sudden some European people come along with their silly metric system and start changing the names of things :P>:(

they were, they are and will forever continue to be 0.1" shunts/jumpers...

(mostly just cause I said so... I really don't have any good argument as to why...)

Level 1 Tested

Combo Deal

Based on the specs looks good to go.

Level 1 Tested

Combo Deal

Based on the specs looks good to go.

If only i lived in the states, don't have the combo deal on canadian newegg.

• 3 weeks later...

Why are my bottom 2 drives not being seen in unraid?

To even answer this question we need some more information.

That screen looks just fine to me (hort of the hba related stuff).  If those drives are not IDE drives then the controller is set to IDE mode in the BIOS.

Ya, they shouldn't be ide drives and when i go To verify that the hard drives are detected using following prompt :

dmesg|grep SATA|grep link

There are only 4 drives of of 6 shown.

They look fine in BIOS.

hmm