boot issues with server

leviathan18

Hello guys,

I have been experiencing issues with my build after 3 years of 0 issues.

My build is fairly simple

MOBO: ASROCK E3C224D4I-14S 

CPU: Intel i5 (can't remember which one)

RAM: 2x 4GB GSKILL DDR3 Ram

CACHE: SSD 

PSU: EVGA 550w 

CASE: Lian Li mini ITX with 10 HDD BAY

HDD: WD blue-green 2-3-4-6TB

everything started with one of the 3TB HDD giving me a write error, tried to recover it and failed so I decided to cure myself in health and bought 2 new HDD of 4TB to replace the "failing 3Tb" and one of the oldest 2TB HDD to eliminate another old disk. When I tried to recover the "failing one" it gave me issues with the rebuild, gave me errors and failed fairly quickly the process. 

So I rebooted the server several times and some times it wouldn't boot, some times it would boot but some disks wouldn't appear and some times it would boot and only would tell me the failing disk was missing so I could access my array, that gave me the impression that maybe the SAS-SATA cable was giving me issues or maybe the back planes of the case so I bought new cables to try out.

Before the cables arriving to my house, the server decided not to boot anymore so I had to borrow a monitor to see what was happening it wasn't even sending signal to the monitor so Monday I changed the cables, nothing happened, removed the back-planes same story nothing. I decided to try unplugging all disks to see if it was a load issue with the psu no boot, removed the sas-sata cable nothing. Until I decided to remove 1 ram stick I saw the boot screen where I can choose if I want a GUI or just the normal UNRAID and it went with no issues until it gave me this error:

mpt2sas_cm0 handshake int failed

from there it wouldn't advance in the boot process, so I restarted it several times and sometimes it would boot and sometimes it wouldn't and I ran out of ideas as it is my first time dealing with unraid and I'm scared to another level to loose my data.

if someone can give me a hand at what it might be that issue or if I just can get a new cpu ram mobo and psu put my pendrive ssd and hdd and boot it up to a working condition I would be more than happy to spend the money to get a new sever if everything is going to work as it should.

Thanks for reading, sorry for any mistakes English is not my language and it has been a while for me to write this much in English.

Archived