Spin Down Problems

Hi since the 6.7 update I have the Problem that my drive shown as spun down but they are still remaining active.

This happens in aproximitley 2/5 cases.

Before the 6.7 there were absolutely no Problem.

Is this a known error or does this only happen to me 😄

And what I have see is it normal when I manually spend down the array it trys to spin down the cache too?

Spin Down delay for cache is on never so I thought this should not be happen.

Thanks.

Exactly how do you know that they are active when they are shown as spun down?  

Now I have seen this happen where the indicator under the 'DEVICE' column will show the drive spun down but there will still be a drive temperature shown that seems to indicate that the drive is spun up.  (Drive Temperature is several degrees above normal...)  For me, spinning down the errant drives manually seems to fix the problem.  (As I recall, this out of sync condition seems to happen when I access the SMART data via the GUI.) 

However, if I spin down all of the drives using the "Spin Down" button in the 'Array Operation' section/tab, it will also spin down my SSD cache drive (as you have observed).  Since it only happens when I do this manual spindown to fix this problem, I just manually spin-up the cache drive on the "Main" page.  

Edited by Frank1940

I can hear them spin and in the ui there are shown as spun down 😄

I was fiddling around the last few days and I think it is a problem with sleep.

Without sleep there is no problem.

I know sleep is official not supported so I think this is no bug.

The problem occurs when the server is trying to get to sleep an immediately wake up than the disk are spinnig

but schon as spun down.

It occurs not every time but before the update there was no problem. Where there changes in the sleep behavior

or it is one of the linux kernel features? 😄 

16 hours ago, Squid said:

I believe that most users of the s3 plugin have it run a script that spins up all drives before sleeping so that the drives and the OS dont get out of sync

Sent via telekinesis

That is a good point. After a bit of searching I added:

for disknum in $(ls /dev/md* | sed "sX/dev/mdXX"); do /usr/local/sbin/mdcmd spinup $disknum; done

to the S3 add-on so all drives spin up before sleep.

Will test this the next few days.

Thx :D 

Edited by d3fault