2TB Samsung Spinpoint - $89 after $20 promo code + free shipping

Svendog

I didn't start a new thread since I know these are not for UnRaid use. However, as of the time of this post, you can get this drive from NewEgg for ~$60+FS using code: EMCZYNW48

Maybe someone will want to get one at that price for use in a nonUnRaid system.

EDIT>Oh boy, I gave in. I got one to replace a 1.5TB Seagate in client PC. I'll just 'retire' the 1.5 to the UnRaid box. Now if they would just do this deal on a WD green.

/justme

wow..  $60...  that's nuts.  so tempting...

IF there is no risk to data integrity, and it is only slightly slower than other drives then I might think about it.  again most of what I have are big files that are written at one time.  Is there any risk to data integrity or is it just performance?

I'm sure that I'm missing something but I can't find any posts that answer this directly.  When will advanced format drives (like the Samsung F4) be supported in unRAID?  I didn't see any threads in the user requested features section of the forum asking for this but I'm sure that Tom is aware of the need.  If HDD mfgs are really going to stop building the older drives (512 byte sectors) on Jan 1, 2011 then Tom needs to get the ball rolling ASAP to add support for these drives.  Having a whole segment of drives that are problematic/unuseable in unRAID lets the hot air out of the whole "unRAID is awesome because you can use any combo of drives you can get your hands on" balloon.  I'd love to have a 2TB F4 in my server.  What's the deal Limetech???