Blog

MvL

Hi,

How about a blog on the front page of Limetech or a link to a blog with information whats going on at the moment, announce new versions of unRAID, make pols etc. This could be administrated by a hero member who has a close connection with Limetech. So Limetech does not have to deal with this stuff, and can focus on development. I also think it is good to show on the front page how active this community is. What do you unRAID users think, and what do you think Limetech? 

Hi,

How about a blog on the front page of Limetech or a link to a blog with information whats going on at the moment, announce new versions of unRAID, make pols etc. This could be administrated by a hero member who has a close connection with Limetech. So Limetech does not have to deal with this stuff, and can focus on development. I also think it is good to show on the front page how active this community is. What do you unRAID users think, and what do you think Limetech? 

I can only speak for myself...  I have no closer communication channel than you.  I have no ideas about what is happening other than what Tom posts in these forums.    On occasion I'll send Tom a PM referencing a post on these forums. Most recently it was about the series of Kernel Oops.

I agree, information regarding progress and plans would be nice.

I can only speak for myself...  I have no closer communication channel than you.  I have no ideas about what is happening other than what Tom posts in these forums.    On occasion I'll send Tom a PM referencing a post on these forums. Most recently it was about the series of Kernel Oops.

Has nobody a close connection to Tom?

At some point it is to much work for one guy, and this isn't good for unRAID. Isn't it better to let maintain the website and forum by a Hero forum member(s) with Tom as administrator?

No one here that I am aware of dialogs with Tom on a regular basis.

The people that seem to reach him are frequently new users in the evaluation process.

Hmm, yes i can confirm this by myself. He replied by mail when i purchased a pro license. I had a question when he planned to release 5.0 beta.

It is probably fair to say most regulars have at one time or another lamented about lack of consistent feedback/news/progress.

As the years pass we get more used to the long hiatuses that usually signal something new is coming but as a company it is definitely unRAID biggest problem.

A blog is a good idea but realistically it is not going to happen :(

A blog is a good idea but realistically it is not going to happen :(

Yes, i'm also afraid its not going to be happen.

Bit pity though, I really think this is a good thing for unRAID to sell it self. If Tom has no time for this kind of stuff let the community take care of it. We all are enthusiastic users.

I actually thought about setting up my own blog and cataloging my "journey" with unRAID.  At this point I am so deep into unRAID that I don't mess with it nearly as much as I use to, I do have a test server though, so I could "redo" stuff from the point of view of a newbie.

The reason I never went ahead and started the web page was "real life shit."  When I first started thinking about the blog idea I was also in the first stages of buying a house.  Well, the house ended up happening and I have spent the last 6 months doing stuff to the house and working constantly; it's a small miracle I get to mess with my server and watch anything off it.

If no one has seen it before here is a link to screencastonline where he does video podcasts and reviews of applications.  I would love to do something like this and make it easier for newbies to set up many of the addon's for unRAID.  The time involved would be huge I know, but things are starting to settle down with house stuff now so I may be able to do it.  I would probably put the video's up on a youtube channel so I am not using up a lot of bandwidth.

Hell, If a group of unRAIDer's want to get together and do something like this I would be willing to pitch in.  I should have more free time in about a month, but should be able to pitch in soonish.

i think it's a good idea, want we know now nothing  about what's going on.

Hi,

I can only speak for myself...  I have no closer communication channel than you.  I have no ideas about what is happening other than what Tom posts in these forums.    On occasion I'll send Tom a PM referencing a post on these forums. Most recently it was about the series of Kernel Oops.

I actually thought about setting up my own blog and cataloging my "journey" with unRAID.  At this point I am so deep into unRAID that I don't mess with it nearly as much as I use to, I do have a test server though, so I could "redo" stuff from the point of view of a newbie.

The reason I never went ahead and started the web page was "real life shit."  When I first started thinking about the blog idea I was also in the first stages of buying a house.  Well, the house ended up happening and I have spent the last 6 months doing stuff to the house and working constantly; it's a small miracle I get to mess with my server and watch anything off it. I would love to do something like this and make it easier for newbies to set up many of the addon's for unRAID.  The time involved would be huge I know, but things are starting to settle down with house stuff now so I may be able to do it.  I would probably put the video's up on a youtube channel so I am not using up a lot of bandwidth.

Hell, If a group of unRAIDer's want to get together and do something like this I would be willing to pitch in.  I should have more free time in about a month, but should be able to pitch in soonish.

Hmm, i think this could be a good alternative. I certainly want to help to make this happen. I'm a relative newbie when it comes to Linux. I''m started my server journey with Windows Home Server, but get bored about it. So two years ago i stated with Linux, and i enjoy it every day. I suppose i have to learn lots of new Linux stuff.

Yes we can talk about unRAID stuff, addins, etc. Maybe we even can interview Tom from time to time, and tell people the new unRAID rumors.

If no one has seen it before here is a link to screencastonline where he does video podcasts and reviews of applications

Is this site from Tom or do i misunderstood this?

Lack of communication from Tom is the only downfall of unRaid. If it wasn't for this community unRaid would have never succeeded because 99% of all the solutions to problems (and you WILL have problems) come from the community.

God forbid the hero members leaving this forum.. unRaid will die.

No, Tom does not run that site. I was just giving an example of want I would like to do with a blog for unRAID.  Basically, make screencast type walkthroughs showing how to install some addon's, etc.

Ah, misunderstood. Professional looking site, [offtopic] and with Apple stuff. Just bought my first Apple device. I love it.[/offtopic]

I just think of Tom is the floating spirit that appears now and then. If it wasn't for the members here I wouldn't of ever bought in and use my unRAID server.

Anymore I just let my server idle away and access it when I need it, which is nearly every day for one reason or another.

I figure let Tom do what Tom does and well ride the wave until either my surver crashes or we are givin another wave to ride on. ;)

I was hoping it was taken in a positive manner. ;)

Don't misunderstand me i have respect for Tom, but i should do thing differently (everybody does). This is no attack to Tom just ideas, and positive criticism.

So lets ride with the wave... hoping for lots of waves  :D