Lian Li PC-343B (18x 5.25")

dlmh

While browsing the internet looking for a replacement of my current unRAID case (Lian Li PC-A17), I came across a model by the same manufacturer I had never seen before: the Lian Li PC-343B Modular Cube Case.

It has a whopping total of 18 5.25" bays, giving you a total of 24 drives....

See here for a review.

lianli_pc-343b.jpg

Looks like I found my future proofed upgrade :)

It's also expensive as hell.

Yes it is, but if you compare this to the popular Norco cases that are able to house the same or less drives, it's actually rather cheap. I found out it can even house 30 drives, if you get a special bracket that will fit one of the fan outlets.

And most will agree this is a better looking case than a Norco rackmount, it can even be used as a small table  :D

Stick some 5-in-3's in there and you'd have a lot of drive bays.

Although by the time you buy the case + 5-in-3s you might better off buying something else...

Lian Li has it's own 4-in-3 (and even a 6-in-3 with 4x 3.5" and 2 x 2.5") bays that won't break your budget (about $30-35, depending on the model).

With 30 drives, this is already way above the current maximum of 20 drives of unRAID. Maybe in the future, unRAID will expand to 22 drives, maybe even 24, but how long will it take to get to 30? :S

The real question you have to ask yourself is... Can you afford to pay for a crane and a licensed crane operator in order to move this boat anchor if you decide to move to a new home?

;D well... It's about the same size as two mid-towers glued side to side... And it only weighs 8.2 kgs ;)