VM Lost C Drive

Last week my VM stopped working. Sometimes it would start but I would not be able to access it, other times during boot Unraid would pause it automatically. I and using a GPU passthrough and a separate dedicated SSD for the drive. I hooked up a monitor and watched it boot. When Unraid does not pause it automatically I get Windows startup repair. After playing around in that it says it cannot find the C:/ drive. Any ideas? 

11 hours ago, Squid said:

Are you passing through the ssd, or have you simply created a vdisk on a dedicated ssd.  Pausing *implies* that you sized the vdisk larger than the ssd

I have a vdisk on the ssd. I’m not sure if the pausing means the vdisk is larger than the ssd here. This vm has been working for over 6 months and just recently had this issue. I think it may have started when I upgrade to 6.7.2? I reverted back to 6.6.7 but the vm still will not start. 

3 minutes ago, Chandler said:

750KB free

Full

3 minutes ago, Chandler said:

240GB SSD and when I initially made the VM I gave it 230GB.

Probably the 230GB is actually GiB whereas the 240GB is actually GB, hence the problem as 230 GiB == 246GB

Not quite sure how to properly recover here, but for next time, you can do this to keep the vdisk as small as possible  https://forums.unraid.net/topic/51703-vm-faq/#comment-557606

Just now, Squid said:

Full

Probably the 230GB is actually GiB whereas the 240GB is actually GB, hence the problem as 230 GiB == 246GB

Not quite sure how to properly recover here, but for next time, you can do this to keep the vdisk as small as possible  https://forums.unraid.net/topic/51703-vm-faq/#comment-557606

Hmm well do you know what would have just caused this? The VM has been running fine for months. Is it due to the VM attempting to use the full amount of what I allocated but there was more allocated than usable? 

Assuming Windows VM, without setting the vdisk up as a scsi drive (as detailed in the thread), the vdisk will always grow to it's maximum size, just from windows creating and then deleting temporary files.

The size of the vdisk is the total of all all the files currently on the vdisk plus the size of every file ever created on the vdisk up to a maximum of the vdisk size.  IE: No matter what you do it will always eventually (usually pretty quickly) hit the size of the vdisk you've set.

The link describes how to set up the template and windows so that the vdisk will grow and shrink accordingly.

Just now, Squid said:

Assuming Windows VM, without setting the vdisk up as a scsi drive (as detailed in the thread), the vdisk will always grow to it's maximum size, just from windows creating and then deleting temporary files.

The size of the vdisk is the total of all all the files currently on the vdisk plus the size of every file ever created on the vdisk up to a maximum of the vdisk size.  IE: No matter what you do it will always eventually (usually pretty quickly) hit the size of the vdisk you've set.

The link describes how to set up the template and windows so that the vdisk will grow and shrink accordingly.

Got it. I read through it and will follow that. Would moving my current vdisk to another drive that is larger than 240GB fix my problem so I can change to a scsi drive? Or is there any way to open the vdisk.img to extract files? 

20 minutes ago, Chandler said:

Would moving my current vdisk to another drive that is larger than 240GB fix my problem so I can change to a scsi drive? Or is there any way to open the vdisk.img to extract files? 

You can try to move the vdisk to a bigger drive and attach it to a working VM and try to chkdsk and recover data from it.

1 hour ago, Squid said:

IDK

41 minutes ago, bastl said:

You can try to move the vdisk to a bigger drive and attach it to a working VM and try to chkdsk and recover data from it.

Moving the vdisk to another drive let it boot up finally. Had to make 3 different VMs for it to work though.. I will try the scsi drive settings now. 

Thanks guys.