unRaid on Mac Pro 5,1 (Mid 2010)

First time poster, follower of Spaceinvader One!

I have a Mac Pro 5,1 (Mid 2010) that can't be updated officially to Mojave. 

Not sure how secure this is, since it's being updated by someone else:

How to Install macOS 10.14 Mojave on an Unsupported Mac (

)

I am wondering if I can install unRaid on this Mac Pro.

1176854686_ScreenShot2019-11-04at7_22_41PM.png.2eeb571b43928848f73c7d10f4d6c6f0.png

I also have 2 other Mac Pro 4,1's (currently running Ubuntu for my kids) and wanting to know IF I can pool all those together.

Would I have to get a key for each one?

So:

Mac Pro 5,1: 4 drives (1 for OS, 3 free)

Mac Pro 4,1: 4 drives (1 for OS, 3 free)

Mac Pro 4,1(2): 4 drives (1 for OS, 3 free)

So can have 9 drive slots(?).

I currently have an old Server but it is NOT VM eligible, so looking at these Mac Pro's to somehow run as my servers and host my VM's.

Any suggestion/idea's would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, Sapper21A said:

Would I have to get a key for each one?

Yes, you would. Make a USB key and sign up for a month's free trial and see if one of them will boot - you'll need to set up the USB for UEFI boot mode. The trouble with old Mac Pros is that they only officially support four hard disks, though you could probably fit two more in the optical drive bays. So they are rather bulky for the storage capacity they offer. Incidentally, Unraid boots from a USB flash device and runs entirely in RAM so all drive bays are available for storage. Give it a try and see how you get on.

I'm in a similar position with my MacBook Pro that can't be updated beyond High Sierra. To be honest, Mojave and Catalina don't offer anything I need - the changes are superficial and simply make macOS even more like iOS. I'm OK with High Sierra while Apple keeps supplying security updates - so, maybe another year to go? Trouble is Apple doesn't make anything that would even come close to replacing what I've been using for almost 10 years. I've got 2 TB (HDD) + 250 GB (SSD) of internal storage configured as a fusion drive, a battery I can replace (I'm on my third, and my second cooling fan) and RAM I can upgrade (done that too), with a real gigabit Ethernet port and a MagSafe charging port. There's no Retina display or USB 3 but I have a mini Display Port and FireWire 800!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Same problem for me! Stuck at Kernel panics! its pretty sad, becouse I was really with unraid on my laptop and wated to use it on my Mac Pro 5.1 too! Hope they will hopefully fix it, but i think it willl never happen, cause those Macs are already too old! Do you have any other ideas how to dowmload it or an advice for an similar program?