Supermicro C2SEE-O MB WOL not working

mason

Hey all,

I upgraded my unraid installation with a Supermicro C2SEE-O MB Board, the recommended from Limetec. Everything is up and running pretty smooth. The only things that i didn't get to work is WOL. There is no explicit option in the Bios regarding the WOL Feature, just for wakeup by keyboard or mouse...

I crawled the forum and the wiki already but didn't find much of help. Also i tried to add the 'ethtool' configuration to the go script which looks fine but doesn't make a difference. If the machine is powered down I also have no LED activity showing on the NIC  that it is active. This was the case with my old board (ASUS P5B-VM DO) where WOL was working without a problem.

I guess a lot of you guys are using this board, maybe someone with a working configuration can point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Hey all,

I upgraded my unraid installation with a Supermicro C2SEE-O MB Board, the recommended from Limetec. Everything is up and running pretty smooth. The only things that i didn't get to work is WOL. There is no explicit option in the Bios regarding the WOL Feature, just for wakeup by keyboard or mouse...

I crawled the forum and the wiki already but didn't find much of help. Also i tried to add the 'ethtool' configuration to the go script which looks fine but doesn't make a difference. If the machine is powered down I also have no LED activity showing on the NIC  that it is active. This was the case with my old board (ASUS P5B-VM DO) where WOL was working without a problem.

I guess a lot of you guys are using this board, maybe someone with a working configuration can point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

I've never gotten mine to work either (same motherboard) with the same lack of a LED lit on the NIC when put to sleep.  I'll be curious if anyone has it working.

Joe L.

Also S3 is not the same as WOL from an offline state ;)

Could you explain this to me a little more. I am getting confused a little by what you said above.  I understand what Wake-On-LAN is and what S3 is.  Are you saying that you do not want to use S3 (or the other S# states) to put the computer into a power saving mode?

I have a C2SEE but it is still in box and probably won't get unpacked and used for another 6 months yet.  Not to mention I don't bother with the S3, WOL, etc type stuff because my server is usually doing something at any given time.

I took a look at the C2SEE-O User Manual and found this:

Wake-On-LAN (WOL)

Wake-On-LAN is defined as the ability of a management application to remotely

power up a computer that is powered off. Remote PC setup, up-dates and asset

tracking can occur after hours and on weekends so that daily LAN traffic is kept

to a minimum and users are not interrupted. The motherboard has a 3-pin header

(WOL) to connect to the 3-pin header on a Network Interface Card (NIC) that has

WOL capability. In addition, an onboard LAN controller can also support WOL

without any connection to the WOL header. The 3-pin WOL header is to be used

with a LAN add-on card only.

Note: Wake-On-LAN requires an ATX 2.01 (or above) compliant power

supply.

So I guess if you really need WOL with this board you need to get a LAN add-on card.  I don't know which card will work with this board and unRaid.

I took a look at the C2SEE-O User Manual and found this:

Wake-On-LAN (WOL)

Wake-On-LAN is defined as the ability of a management application to remotely

power up a computer that is powered off. Remote PC setup, up-dates and asset

tracking can occur after hours and on weekends so that daily LAN traffic is kept

to a minimum and users are not interrupted. The motherboard has a 3-pin header

(WOL) to connect to the 3-pin header on a Network Interface Card (NIC) that has

WOL capability. In addition, an onboard LAN controller can also support WOL

without any connection to the WOL header. The 3-pin WOL header is to be used

with a LAN add-on card only.

Note: Wake-On-LAN requires an ATX 2.01 (or above) compliant power

supply.

So I guess if you really need WOL with this board you need to get a LAN add-on card.  I don't know which card will work with this board and unRaid.

Part of what you copied says:

In addition, an onboard LAN controller can also support WOL

without any connection to the WOL header.

All that said, I've never gotten WOL from S3 to work with my C2SEE either using the built-in NIC.  (The server stays on 24/7)

Joe L.

Found this at the Supermicro FAQs.  There was another one asking about linux/unix and it said to check with the OS.  So I wonder if it can be activated with Windows and then use it in unRaid.

Question

How do I enable Wake-On-LAN (WOL) in the Supermicro motherboard BIOS?

Answer

It may not be necessary to enable Wake-On-LAN ( WOL) in the BIOS of our E7500, E7501, E7505 and GC-LE motherboards, please check if your particular BIOS has a "Wake-on-LAN" or "Wake-on-Ring" option.

Enabling PME (Wake-on-Lan) inside a Windows OS

with an Intel Pro 100/1000 NIC

Go into the device manager and double-click on your Intel NIC under "Network adapters" as shown in Figure 1.

FAQ_1411_WOL_pme1.jpg

Figure 1.

Select the "Advanced" tab and select the property "Enable PME" shown in Figure 2. Under the value menu select enabled.

FAQ_1411_WOL_pme2.jpg

Figure 2.

Select the "Power Management" tab at the top and ensure the box is checked which reads "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby as shown in Figure 3.

FAQ_1411_WOL_pme3.jpg

Figure 3.

For Intel driver version 6.4 and newer to wake-up by a magic packet, under the Advanced Tab, select the "Wake On Settings" property. Then select the value "Wake On Magic Packet" as shown in Figure 4.

FAQ_1411_WOL_pme4.jpg

Figure 4.

Click "OK" and proceed to a valid standby mode.

I guess these windows settings are equal to" : ethtool -s eth0 wol g" to get WOL working in a Linux environment i bet it won't make any difference. I'll wrote a mail to the Supermicro Support but I don't have much hope to get an answer from there!

And regarding the sleep state, my machine is powered down completely, no sleep mode no nothing since i have a seperate small low power server running for my daily tasks. I don't want to waste power on 20 disks I just need occasionally.

Hi!

Why is WOL mandatory for you?

I know it is nice, but if you do the cost calculations of an idle server with disk spun down and one that is in S3 the cost is not all that great.

You can set the server to shutdown and boot up at given times if you want to save some power.

Are there any imperial values on the power consumption of an unRAID server? I don't have any equipment here to test it. Due to the fact, that electricity is quite expensive here in Germany it would be quite good to now...

The setup is mentioned in my signature...

Bye.

Ah another German who understands me ;)

Just get yourself one of these cheap measure tools for 10€ and see for your self. My server is quite hungry with 20HDDs so i won't just leave it up and running. Everything else is just theoretical and maybe more of a guess....

Hi!

Ah another German who understands me ;)

Just get yourself one of these cheap measure tools for 10€ and see for your self. My server is quite hungry with 20HDDs so i won't just leave it up and running. Everything else is just theoretical and maybe more of a guess....

I will try to get one of these. Besides I don't think that there is such a difference between our two systems. Most of the time the system runs in idle state. Well...when you power up the whole array and therefore all discs your system will take its power.

The Celeron takes around 35W (max.). I assume that the power consumption of my array will be around 50-120W while idle. I can live with that...even here in good old Germany.

Bye.

• 3 weeks later...

This is how WOL is behaving with my C2SEE. E3400 CPU, Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G memory, Corsair TX750 and one WD20EARS. unRAID 4.6

NOTE: There are no HBAs in this system. I will try adding an MV8 in the next week or two.

From a cold power off (powered off using the switch on the power supply)

- Can not wake up system via magic packet

From a soft power off (with unRAID up and running, push the power button on the case or shutdown from web)

- Magic packet reliabley powers the system on and unRAID boots up

- Magic packet continues to work even if I power off during the boot process

- Seems I have to do a cold power off get back to where the magic packet will not start the system

- Guessing unRAID configures the LAN adapter in a way that makes WOL work but that confguration is lost when standby power is removed

After putting system to s3 sleep using using the "Go To S3 Sleep" user scripts button

- Magic pack reliably wakes system up but...

- I always loose video to an attached monitor (it is a test system so it has a monitor attached)

- If the system has been asleep for too long it wakes up but I can not connect to the web server or open a telnet session. I don't know if this is a wakeup issue with the software or a hardware problem. I did read another post where someone had a WOL problem that was fixed by replacing a Corsair PS with another PS. I suppose it could be memory related too. Apparently the system has not totally crashe because pushing the power off button on the case appears to initiate an unRAID power off sequance. I need to do additional diagnosis of this problem.

Here is the command I am using to send the magic packet.

wolcmd.exe 00:30:48:B2:10:55 192.168.0.61 255.255.255.0

wolcmd.exe file date is 1/4/2005

This is how WOL is behaving with my C2SEE. E3400 CPU, Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G memory, Corsair TX750 and one WD20EARS. unRAID 4.6

NOTE: There are no HBAs in this system. I will try adding an MV8 in the next week or two.

From a cold power off (powered off using the switch on the power supply)

- Can not wake up system via magic packet

From a soft power off (with unRAID up and running, push the power button on the case or shutdown from web)

- Magic packet reliabley powers the system on and unRAID boots up

- Magic packet continues to work even if I power off during the boot process

- Seems I have to do a cold power off get back to where the magic packet will not start the system

- Guessing unRAID configures the LAN adapter in a way that makes WOL work but that confguration is lost when standby power is removed

After putting system to s3 sleep using using the "Go To S3 Sleep" user scripts button

- Magic pack reliably wakes system up but...

- I always loose video to an attached monitor (it is a test system so it has a monitor attached)

- If the system has been asleep for too long it wakes up but I can not connect to the web server or open a telnet session. I don't know if this is a wakeup issue with the software or a hardware problem. I did read another post where someone had a WOL problem that was fixed by replacing a Corsair PS with another PS. I suppose it could be memory related too. Apparently the system has not totally crashe because pushing the power off button on the case appears to initiate an unRAID power off sequance. I need to do additional diagnosis of this problem.

Here is the command I am using to send the magic packet.

wolcmd.exe 00:30:48:B2:10:55 192.168.0.61 255.255.255.0

wolcmd.exe file date is 1/4/2005

What BIOS options do you have set?

Do you have the "powerdown" script installed?  If so how are you installing it?

Joe L.

Do you have any LED activity when it's shut down? As far as i know it, and its working on all other machines here. If the Powersupply is connected you should see a link on the adapters LED... but this is not the case with my C2SEE-O.

Any special bios configurations?

Do you have any LED activity when it's shut down? As far as i know it, and its working on all other machines here. If the Powersupply is connected you should see a link on the adapters LED... but this is not the case with my C2SEE-O.

Any special bios configurations?

Same here... I see no network adapter LED activity once I power down. (and WOL has no effect)
What BIOS options do you have set?

I used F9 to load optimum settings and changed ACPI to OS support YES, S3 and V3.

Do you have the "powerdown" script installed?  If so how are you installing it?

I did nothing special to install a "powerdown" script. The flash drive is a fresh build using unRAID 4.6-rc5 distribution and unMenu is clean install of Version 1.3 after which I ran the update script. Revision now shows 178.

Do you have any LED activity when it's shut down?

To my surprise, no. The LEDs are dark when the system is either powered off or sleeping.

I finally got around to installing my $20 C2SEE-O board last night.  Let me start by saying that S3 is important to me.  My server will sit idle for long periods of time and I'm too lazy to wait for it to boot up so that's why I use S3.  Plus I can save a few bucks on my power bill.

My system specs are:

MB: Supermicro C2SEE-O

CPU: Intel Pentium E5500

RAM: GSkill 2x2GB (F3-10666CL7D-4GBECO)

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-650TX

Parity: WD20EARS w/ jumper

Data: WD10EARS & WD20EARS w/jumpers

In the BIOS I set Suspend Mode to S3

I did not change the setting for ACPI Aware OS or ACPI Version Feature which according to the manual default to Yes and ACPI v2.0 by default.  But I need to check that at home tonight because I have found other "default" settings in the manual to be false, such as USB 2.0 Controller Mode.

Last night, after making the BIOS edits, I booted into unRAID and everything worked just fine.  I had access vis the standard webGUI and unMenu as well.  I then edited my wolcmd file with the new MAC address for the C2SEE-O NIC.  It appears that I am using the same wolcmd that greybeard is.  After the server went to sleep I ran wolcmd and the server did wake but i could not connect to it via webGUI or telnet.  Essentially the same as greybeard.  I had already disconnected the monitor so I cannot determine if the video connection was lost.  IIRC there were no lights on the NIC while the server was in S3 but I'll confirm that tonight as well.  I did note that, after waking from S3, my gigabit switch was showing the server connected at 100mbps not 1000mpbs as it should. My sleep script forces the NIC to 1000mbps. I'm hoping that all of this is related to my sleep script (which worked fine with my previous boards) and I can correct it with some minor edits.  Looks like I have some work to do tonight.  >:(

@shire ... I checked my power draw and with all three drives spinning my kill-a-watt meter reported 60-62 watts.  With all drives spun down it was ~45 watts.  In S3 the system was ~1.5 watts.