(SOLVED) USB Died - Looking for recovery options with dual parity

glch

New-ish unRAID user here. Setup my first build about 2 months ago. Yesterday my USB drive with unRAID died after an unexpected power loss at my house. I'm unable to boot the USB (blinking cursor), and when I load it onto another PC (Windows and Linux), they both say there's no partition table. I'm working on trying to recover that partition, but I'd like to go ahead and look at my new unRAID OS install options.

Everything I've read here and online seems to say I should have a backup (I don't) and I should have a screenshot of my Main window so that I can see the drive assignments (I don't). If you don't have those, but only one parity, then the assignment doesn't matter and my data will be available after I load the new USB/OS. However, I have two parity disks and the assignment seems to be somewhat important in that scenario.

Do I have any options to try and recover/access my data in this situation, or am I boned and just need to start from scratch?

Edited by glch
solved

Even with single parity assignments matter. You must never assign a data drive to a parity slot. 

Assign all disks as data and none as parity then start the array. All disks except parity should mount, in your case you would have 2 and only 2 unmountable. Come back for more advice and post Diagnostics. Tools-diagnostics, attach the complete Diagnostics zip file to your next post. 

Since you don't know which parity is which you will have to rebuild both. 

Thanks trurl. It's no problem rebuilding the parity and I was able to confirm all the data was still available by booting into Linux and mounting each drive. For assurance's sake, I copied each of the serial numbers down for when I get back into unRAID and start assigning them.

I'll be booting up shortly and will check to see what kind of additional issues I happen to have. Thanks!

So seems like I was able to boot up and most everything populated as expected (and more). I didn't expect all of my docker configurations to stick around, but I'm guessing all of that was stored on the SSD cache.

I didn't try to mount the two parity drives at all, so presently I only have my 6 data disks mounted and started. To re-enable parity, do I just assign those disks (regardless of order) and unRAID will kick off a parity build?

dubonas-diagnostics-20191121-1603.zip

Everything looks to be working. I'm rebuilding parity now.

On docker, I had installed these using the Community Apps but now that I've re-done everything, it seems like they are "un-connected" to the CA plugin. Is there a fix for this, or just remove them and reinstall and set them up again?

12 minutes ago, glch said:

Everything looks to be working. I'm rebuilding parity now.

On docker, I had installed these using the Community Apps but now that I've re-done everything, it seems like they are "un-connected" to the CA plugin. Is there a fix for this, or just remove them and reinstall and set them up again?

The Docker container binaries are in the docker image file which is why they are still available.   When you installed the docker containers then CA would have stored the Installation settings for each container on the flash drive.    Since you have no backup of the flash drive then you need to redo the installations to get CA aware of them again.  

It is a good idea to make a backup of the flash drive (by clicking on it on the Main tab) any time you make significant changes.     You can also use the CA Backup plugin to have automated backups made.

Thanks everyone for the help. Was able to "install" the CA version of my apps again and the full management functionality came back without losing any of the settings. Parity check completed and all looks well. I've taken a backup of my flash drive and once I take the server back to my house, I'll do the UPS portion too.

Thanks!