(SOLVED) Disabled Disc

pm1961

Hi Ladies & Gents,

I'd appreciate some guidance please on the following problem.

I've got an unmountable disk 7.  The array runs ok with the contents emulated....

It has happened to this disk previously and I assumed it was a bad disk, so I replaced it and rebuilt the array with no problems.

But, unable to find any errors with it through a SMART report, it was reinstalled as a new additional disk and all was good for a few days, but the same problem has happened again. 

Trying some self help from a previous forum post seemingly very similar to mine, I ran xfs repair through the console. It didn't sort the problem and suggested I strip the log with -L flag and re-run. It hasn't helped.

Confusingly the log suggests it's md6 with the problem. so I tried the same again with the same result.

If I use Unbalance to scatter the (emulated) contents of disk 7 to the rest of the array, can I assume that I can then safely remove disk 7 from the array completely and shrink it?

Thank you in advance.

Paul

Unraid.png.ad05161c8532a1267974e19ed6f5021e.pngmain.thumb.png.ab0174412e3063d87b13defdfa4b7a98.pngsyslog.txt

Hopefully the attached pics/log are self explanatory.

WDC_WD40EFRX-68WT0N0_WD-WCC4E7AYXN14-20191125-1608.txt

Edited by pm1961
Title correction

Disk is not unmountable, it's disabled, two different things, unmountable is usually a corrupt filesystem, a disk gets disabled when there's a write error, sometimes cable/connection related, sometimes a failing disk, that disk is showing UNC @ LBA erros, i.e., bad sectors, and if it's not the first time it gets disabled you might want to consider replacing it.

Also, disk6 has filesystem corruption you want to check that, with the array in maintenance mode:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Check_Disk_Filesystems

I have now run the xfs repair as outlined and enclose the new sys log.

My disk 7 is still disabled so I guess I move on to trying to save, and move away the data on the disk, before either replacing the drive or attmepting a reformat?

If I now use Unbalance to scatter the (emulated) contents of disk 7 to the rest of the array, can I assume that I can then safely remove disk 7 completely and shrink the array?

syslog after xfs repair.txt

4 minutes ago, pm1961 said:

As a general question, why doesn't the SMART report flag this up more aggressively/obviously?

Because it's not always obvious, and the errors can be intermittent, on WD disks like the one you posted this attribute ideally would be 0:

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAGS    VALUE WORST THRESH FAIL RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     POSR-K   200   200   051    -    161

Though never a good sign, a non zero value by itself doesn't mean the disk is failing, but that together with the recent UNC @ LBA errors indicates the disk has seen better days.