nkosa427

Using wifi for internet while using ethernet to connect to Unraid server

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

I recently moved into a new place apartment and while I get a permanent internet connection sorted out, I have been using the building wifi. Is it possible to continue using this wifi connection on my computer while also being able to connect to my unraid server (connected by ethernet to a router/switch)?

Yes, that is possible.

And if you only want to connect one computer to your unraid server you don't even need to use a switch.

It might depend on how the Building WiFi is setup.  If it was done with having tenant security in mind, you should not be able to see (or access) any other device that is on the LAN side of the Building's WiFi.  If security was not even given a thought when it was setup, you will be able to see and access everything.

Just to make your life more complicated, if your router supports it, you can even use it to connect to the building Wifi and use it as Internet for the rest of your local network. :)

Just to make your life more complicated, if your router supports it, you can even use it to connect to the building Wifi and use it as Internet for the rest of your local network.
This here. Puts a firewall and nat between you and the other building users

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk