Docker Deleted A lot of data, any chance of recovery

bobo89

So the mapping of downloads to a docker container has always been crpytic to me, so I mapped a share in the binhex-qbittorrentvpn docker, to give it access to where all my media is. I restarted the docker container, and suddenly I get a notification that Disk2 returned to normal utilization. Somehow the majority of the media that was in that folder, all 7 or so terabytes is gone. For some reason there were a few folders left over. 

I'm going to go out on a limb and say there is no chance of recovery...

image.thumb.png.1509b9e4432c70cb412e0cadfb04b283.png

tower-diagnostics-20191207-1923.zip

Edited by bobo89

If that's the only thing that happened, then qbittorent deleted the contents of its /tmps.  (Since I don't use qbittorent, I can only assume that due to whatever settings you had in it, it was supposed to)

Chances of recovery are basically zero, unless you pull the drive and then on a Windows / Mac box install (and pay for) UFS explorer to hopefully recover the files.

Going forward though, on any given path you're mapping to a container, you can give it read-only access to the path so that it's impossible for it to make any modifications at all to the share (hit the edit button), but this may not be desired behaviour for the share in question

If that's the only thing that happened, then qbittorent deleted the contents of its /tmps.  (Since I don't use qbittorent, I can only assume that due to whatever settings you had in it, it was supposed to)

Chances of recovery are basically zero, unless you pull the drive and then on a Windows / Mac box install (and pay for) UFS explorer to hopefully recover the files.

Going forward though, on any given path you're mapping to a container, you can give it read-only access to the path so that it's impossible for it to make any modifications at all to the share (hit the edit button), but this may not be desired behaviour for the share in question
Can I just live Boot the same unraid machine to a Ubuntu distro, and interact with the drives directly with UFS? Or actually pull the drive and transfer to another computer

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

No matter what, you probably will have to rebuild parity again as any modifications to a drive outside of unRaid will invalidate parity
I am trying to find a utility that would let me restore the files in place, as I don't have the space to copy the data out.

Other idea would be to take the parity drive out of the array, and use that as swing space, but that's more complex, I'd probably rather get another drive.

Is there a tool that restores the files in place?

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Just an update on this. In the process of recovering files with UFS explorer. It seemed to have only found 3.4 TB of 7 TB (on an 8 TB drive). The scan took 13.5 hours.

The original folder structure is completely gone. UFS explorer organizes everything in it's own customer folders (or it couldn't recover the original folder structure), so there are 16,000 files in random folders that need to be sifted through. A friendly reminder to make backups and test those backup procedures :)