First Time build - Some basic hardware config questions (please)

Hi Everyone,

I am about to start my first Unraid build and have purchased an used HP Z440 Xeon Workstation as my base.  Basic details:

HPZ440

Xeon E5-1650 V4

16GB of Hynix DDR4 RAM PC4-2400 Reg ECC

700W Stock powersupply

560ti (an old card I had lying around)

SilverStone ECS04 (HBA - sorry I had limited easy option where I am)

Various old HDD's to use.

Basic use cases:

- Media Server

- Plex 

- SAB

- 1 x VM running probably Linux and Roon Music Server (this is important, but not entirely sure how I will implement)

- might play around with PiHole and a few dockers once I'm comfortable.

I've been reading the forums and have watched a bunch of @SpaceInvaderOne's videos, so I think I have the basics of UnRaid sorted in my head.  

Where I am a bit of a N00b is with server grade/workstation grade hardware, firmware and bios.  And as I purchased second hand, I want to make sure there are no dodgy security holes that I am not aware of.  Here's what I have done so far:

- removed existing HDD;

- reflashed the Bios to latest revison. 02.50 Rev.A

My questions:

1) What bios settings are optimal for what I propose?  

2) The bios has something called MEBx.  I have googled, but still not entirely sure what or how to use and more emportantly, what the correct default settings are.

3) Lastly, will my HBA be all ok with unraid?   I keep reading about flashing cards to IT Mode, but this sounds a little over my head.

Thanks heaps in advance for any support.

Cheers,

Binza

Edited by BinzaRaid
spelling errors
16 hours ago, BinzaRaid said:

SilverStone ECS04 (HBA - sorry I had limited easy option where I am)

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=706&area=en&pid=706

As I look at that card, it is a RAID only card using the LSI-2308  chip set.  It will probably need to flashed to IT-mode.  Right, @johnnie.black ?  Have you already purchased this card?  Could it be returned if flashing is not a possibility?  The reason I mention this is that there are a great many LSI based cards available on E-bay that are already in the IT-mode for a cost (at least in the USA) at far lower cost than I see advertised for this card.  

IF you decide to go down that route, post back and will make some suggestions about using E-bay.

@Frank1940  Thanks,

Yes I have already purchased the card, but don't have any issues reselling if I have to.  I'd be interested in card options.  I'm in Australia and did search ebay, but wasn't entirely sure what to get and/or how to aviod fake LSI cards (as there seemd to be a few on the Australian ebay).  

Would be interested in simple options.  Only need to run 4-8 drives, so no need for anything complex.

Cheers,

Binza

Edited by BinzaRaid
spelling errors

Got to Ebay and search for   LSI  IT-mode     LSI made both the chip set and the cards at one time.   You are looking for (new and used) cards that are advertised as being in the IT-mode and you want the P20 (The most recent)  software on the card. 

About LSI,  They were acquired in about 2014 by another company and subsequently acquired by Broadcom.  Apparently, you can still buy these cards from them as OEM products.  See here:

https://www.broadcom.com/products/storage/host-bus-adapters

The chip sets are apparently widely available in China and a number of companies are fabricating boards  using these chips.  This has brought about an interesting situation.  Some of these boards carry the LSI logo and of course are sold as new.  As you can see, Broadcom is also continuing to manufacture these boards and they can be easily purchased if you have the proper credentials.  (and probably buy enough of them.)  Obviously, the boards made by the third parties are counterfeit and may or may not use the many other components of the same quality as the LSI/Broadcom boards.  (I read a 'report' that someone contacted Broadcom headquarters about this situation.  They, basically, said, "So what?")

There is a video on Youtube which will help you spot the counterfeits: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQUWwhDU_KQ

and look here for the common LSI, HP and IBM part numbers:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/69018-sata-controller-replacement-question-and-advice/?tab=comments#comment-630097

So now you have the basics.  When I have purchased on Ebay for server parts, I am never looking strictly as price!  I carefully vet the seller.  I want someone in my country who has an established reputation and subject to my laws in case of any fraudulent activity.  I want to buy from someone who has been selling things long enough that if he is shady, it will be reflected in the buyers reviews.  The IBM and HP OEM parts are almost always genuine but they are most likely used.  (They are pull-outs from decommissioned server farms.)    If it don't feel right, don't buy.  

You are looking for the LSI XXXX-8i cards.  These are the most common cards made and they are the most reasonably priced.  You can get either the 6Bbps or 12Gbps card. Both work equally well for Hard Disks.  With SSD's, you need the 12Gbps cards (as I recall) because the 6Gbps cards don't support TRIM operations.  (Most of us simply connect SSD's to the MB ports to solve this problem.)    By the way, tend to ignore the LSI part board number as a lot of vendors tend to use the 'most popular' ones regardless of the one on the original part.  (LSI used the board part number to designate not only the chip set used but also the software/firmware that the board was flashed with.)  If you have questions, don't be afraid to ask the seller.  If he does not respond quickly, that is a red flag! 

• Like 1

Hi @Frank1940

Thanks immensely for the detailed info.  When I specificsally search LSI  IT-mode I do get 4 or 5 options locally her in Australia and seller rep looks ok, so thanks for the tip.  Will just need to do some research on the specific cards and then grab one.

I don't suppose you have any experience with the bios question I had.  I made a post on the HP forum and was basically told to go google .... which I did, however I did get the advise to disable AMT/MEBx on the bios.  I followed these instructions to do that:

To disable:

In BIOS, Advance Chipset Feature ->Intel AMT (Enabled,Disabled)

CTRL P to go AMT Menu (Intel ME Control state(Enabled,Disabled)

Depending on HP (Hewlett-Packard) model, check on BIOS: Advanced > Remote Management Options > Active Management / Unconfigure AMT on next boot. 

I then got prompted with a "A Configuration change was was requested to disable this computes TPM (Trusted Management Platform)", press F1 to accept.  I thought I was disabling AMT, but now I'm thinking they are one and the same.

Is this ok to Disable?

Thanks again,

Binza

Personally, I would not be that concerned at this point about these BIOS settings.  If I understand them (from the cryptic descriptions), I would think they have to do with securing the MB against intrusions.

What I would do is to make an Unraid boot drive and see if it will boot up.  I suspect it probably will.  If it does not, then you can start to dig deeper in these BIOS settings.  Unraid is very forgiving about hardware.  It will run on virtually anything that meets two very basic requirements:

• A 64-bit capable processor, 1.0 GHz or better
  • At least 2GB of RAM

You should probably connect up one hard drive to the MB.  With this minimal configuration, you can get to the GUI and begin to look around.  All the rest can come at a later date. 

Edited by Frank1940