Unassigned Devices storage device

xDayTx

image.thumb.png.d532a3852eb78c929c5942b8afc48612.png

I did a transplant of my server from one case to another, I did not change any components, and left the hard drives in the same SATA ports as before.

Upon first boot, unassigned devices plugin, shows the above, from sdb to sdf, storage device_0000......9744. I have no idea what caused this.

image.png.f9755c470a4da60a31ddd4eebf327745.png

My drives still show up as usual above, just that the drive letters have changed accordingly. Dockers and VM and files are still working and accessible, and a parity check showed no errors.

Is this issue of any worry?

Nah. It's alright. I'm just worried about the drive letter change that's all. If it's normal, then shouldn't be an issue anymore.

I was just curious as to why unassigned devices would list sdb to sdf, as sdb to sdf was the previous drive letters for the drives.

When I click on sdb to sdf disk logs info, this appears:

image.thumb.png.72b3ec77b3bac64ddbeb41cc10532684.png

29 minutes ago, xDayTx said:

I was just curious as to why unassigned devices would list sdb to sdf, as sdb to sdf was the previous drive letters for the drives.

When I click on sdb to sdf disk logs info, this appears:

Linux assigns the sdX type names dynamically in ascending order at the point it first sees a device.  The names are therefore timing dependant on when devices actually first get initialised.