I bought used server motherboard, but I noticed some lose thermal paste on it, should I use it anyway?

mhweb

I recently purchased my first used server motherboard, and the purchasing process went well, but upon arrival, I opened the box, I noticed small pieces of thermal paste around the network adapter, small traces of paste on top of the RAM slots, some tiny pieces of thermal paste on the main board and dried piece that I was able blow out within the CPU socket, but not within the pin area. Oh, I would say that most of the thermal paste was dried, but some still had texture.

I cleaned the board the best I could, and I spent a good amount of time every inch for more thermal paste, I think is OK, but I'm skeptical on using the mobo.

Doing a simply clean of thermal paste makes it safe to use?

There's any way to test the motherboard without installing the components?

Should I see if I can return it, or  am I making a big deal out of it?

Advise needed.

Thanks,

If the board was shipped without a CPU or CPU socket cover, I would inspect the pins VERY carefully, ideally take a well lit macro photo from several low angles and make sure all the pins are even and clean. If you don't have a good digital camera with macro, a cellphone camera and an old fashioned glass magnifying glass work acceptably well.

1 bent pin can have weird symptoms. Things you would never dream could be related.

• Like 1