jbeck22

On the diags, system/btrfs-usage.txt, sde is still part of the pool

Overall:
    Device size:           4.55TiB
    Device allocated:          96.02GiB
    Device unallocated:           4.45TiB
    Device missing:             0.00B
    Used:              88.28GiB
    Free (estimated):           2.70TiB    (min: 2.23TiB)
    Data ratio:                  1.65
    Metadata ratio:              2.00
    Global reserve:          29.31MiB    (used: 400.00KiB)

Data     Data     Metadata  System              
Id Path      single   RAID1    DUP       DUP      Unallocated
-- --------- -------- -------- --------- -------- -----------
 1 /dev/sde1 20.01GiB 37.00GiB   2.00GiB 16.00MiB     2.67TiB
 2 /dev/sdf1        - 37.00GiB         -        -     1.78TiB
-- --------- -------- -------- --------- -------- -----------
   Total     20.01GiB 37.00GiB   1.00GiB  8.00MiB     4.45TiB
   Used      18.75GiB 34.64GiB 128.30MiB 16.00KiB        

46 minutes ago, trurl said:

Also, I assume you know parity is disabled? I didn't notice in syslog that you were rebuilding parity. Are you?

Yes parity is disabled for some reason.  Not sure if the disc had some errors or not, but it disabled itself...not sure how to re-enable it.

I have formatted the cache drive as suggested.  I can see better overall docker performance for sure, so big win there. I re-ran the diagnostics again, but this time I'm not seeing the file that should show me the status of the cache setup.

I have attached the new zip file here.  tower-diagnostics-20191227-1121.zip

Maybe it is in a different file now, since I formatted the cache drive to xfs?

5 minutes ago, jbeck22 said:

Yes parity is disabled for some reason.  Not sure if the disc had some errors or not, but it disabled itself...not sure how to re-enable it.

Unraid disables a disk any time a write to the disk fails. This is because it is no longer in sync with the parity calculation. In the case of a data disk getting disabled, the write to the disk failed but the write to parity succeeded, so the contents of the disk are no longer valid, but the correct contents are represented in the parity array and can be rebuilt to the disk. In the case of parity getting disabled, the write to parity failed, so it is parity that is out of sync with the data in the array.

Unraid will not use a disabled disk until it is rebuilt.

In the case of a disabled data disk, instead of reading or writing the disabled disk, Unraid emulates the disk. To read the contents of the emulated disk, it uses the parity calculation to get the correct data for the disk by reading parity plus all the other disks. To write to the emulated disk, it reads the emulated disk as explained, then updates parity as if the disk were being written. So even though Unraid has ceased to use the disk at all, the initial failed write, and any subsequent writes to the disk, are represented in the parity array and can be rebuilt to the disk.

In the case of a disabled parity disk, parity is no longer written, but writes continue to the data disks, so parity is out of sync.

And, of course, if you have a disabled disk in a single parity array, whether that disabled disk is parity or data, then you no longer have any redundancy. Single parity allows only one disk to be rebuilt.

Dual parity still has redundancy when a single disk is disabled, and loses redundancy when 2 disks are disabled. Dual parity allows 2 disks to be rebuilt.

Looked at SMART for your parity disk, it seems OK. Often these problems are caused by bad connections, cables, etc and not by a bad disk. You can rebuild parity (or indeed any disk) to itself by

1. Stop array
  2. Unassign disk to be rebuilt
  3. Start array so changed assignment is registered
  4. Stop array
  5. Reassign disk to be rebuilt
  6. Start array to begin rebuild